Thread: M715 Original Radiator

Default M715 Original Radiator

Greetings fellow M715 lovers. I have searched the forum snd read all of the radiator posts; however, all of the the ones concerning where a used or reproduction radiator might be purchased are three or more years old. So, I am going to ask the members to re-hash the subject once again.

I found a M715 with a running original engine, but the radiator and shroud were scavenged prior to my purchased. I have 3 other M715s, but they didn't have anything remaining under the hood. I put sbc in all of them along with custom aluminum radiators. I thought it might be novel to restore this one back to the original military standard. But I have failed to find an original radiator/reproduction and shroud in any condition.

Hence, I am appealing to the members of this forum for some enlightenment as to finding M715 radiator sources. Thank you in advance for any help you might provide!

I got one from a local radiator shop that is for a mid-'60's V8 Ford pickup. Literally, that's all the shop owner told me. It works great, BUT, it is about 1/4" too wide, which necessitated spreading the mounting brackets with a Porta Power. It is also tall enough that the diagonal frame braces had to be cut off in order to mount it low enough for the hood to close. The hose fittings are in the proper places, but they're not the stock size, also.

If I had it to do over again, I'd recore the stock one, but I prioritized saving money.

I think the three year old info concerning using a new CJ radiator is still valid.

The stock shrouds breakdown over time and are scarcer than just about anything else on the truck.

If you find a stock radiator that is nos, never used, or hasnt been used in 20 years or more, its probably junk...radiator shop told me the brass over time gets brittle and will kep cracking every time pressure gets put to it...fix a crack...pop, another forms. Running the keeps heat cycling them and that keeps the brass from getting brittle.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

As Mikel says: the CJ radiator. That was what I used. I have an original if someone wants to try to fix it. Top tank decided to divorce the core. Radiator shops are leery of trying to fix it around here.

Default M715 Original Radiator

Quote Originally Posted by sixpaws1968 View Post
    Greetings fellow M715 lovers. I have searched the forum snd read all of the radiator posts; however, all of the the ones concerning where a used or reproduction radiator might be purchased are three or more years old. So, I am going to ask the members to re-hash the subject once again.

I found a M715 with a running original engine, but the radiator and shroud were scavenged prior to my purchased. I have 3 other M715s, but they didn't have anything remaining under the hood. I put sbc in all of them along with custom aluminum radiators. I thought it might be novel to restore this one back to the original military standard. But I have failed to find an original radiator/reproduction and shroud in any condition.

Hence, I am appealing to the members of this forum for some enlightenment as to finding M715 radiator sources. Thank you in advance for any help you might provide!

Can I appeal to your sense of my sincerity. I know there will be a minor caffing by the purist community on this site. I have extensive experience with the M715. I have restored 3 over the last 2 decades not years. Having a custom fabrication radiator that I have on my truck now ( when you paint it black it looks exactly like the original,) was the best decision I have in the process of resto. Simply put, you can never really get to the point of over cooling your engine. Hope this helps..... Enlarged capacity will help you in desert conditionslkas well....
    Last edited by kingpin76110; October 7th, 2017 at 04:54 AM.

I have had good luck with having my old jeep radiators recored with no problems.
    We are lucky to have a "old school" radiator shop in the area.

That said, I used a NOS radiator bought from a member here for my truck, as shown in this picture.
    Memphis Equipment has the shrouds as seen in this picture also.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    I have had good luck with having my old jeep radiators recored with no problems.
    We are lucky to have a "old school" radiator shop in the area.

That said, I used a NOS radiator bought from a member here for my truck, as shown in this picture.
    Memphis Equipment has the shrouds as seen in this picture also.
    I too got an NOS shroud and it cost $75 at the time. I also took my original radiator to a local old time radiator shop and they put a new core in in it. They sent the dimensions to some place in Dallas, they made up the core out of new virgin brass (not from China) and just used my tanks. It cost $350. Yes, lots of money but no "lots of problems" or engineering on my part.

Let me know if you still need a shroud. I have one just pay shipping and it's yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still lokoking for a stock radiator and shroud. If you still have the shroud, I wil take it - let me know how much it takes you to pack and ship it and I will get the funds to you. Thanks!