Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The 396-6.2 swap project

If you're interested I have an extra twin-stick shifter bracket for the np205.

Thanks for bringing that back up again Steve.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Glad i could help.

Actually, I gave that some thought since the case, the mount I fabbed up and the truck are all here together in my class. I figured it would be best to just change the engine and wiring and leave the tcase for after those bugs being worked out.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Are you going to put a new set of rings in the 6.2L?
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Joe, between you and Steve with your helpful suggestions, I might never get the truck on the road again. Why would I want to change the rings if the engine has good compression? Of course, I haven't gotten an engine into my class to do such a check either.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Tim, don't forget the oil cooler too..........
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

That actually is something I do need and have put a lot of thought into Randy. Sermis just put hose barbs on his block and ran 3/8" hose to a transmission cooler in front of his radiator when he put a 6.2 in his M715. It works.

However, I keep thinking about why GM went to the trouble of making aluminum lines go all the way across the radiator in front of the fan and then plug into the cooler. There must be a need for more cooling than just a cooler can provide.

I have enough room in front of my 28" Summit aluminum radiator to put a condensor for my anticipated a/c set up and probably a really cleaned out condensor used as the oil cooler or a pair of transmission coolers. Either way, I will have to finally get around to building a fan shroud and I will use the biggest brake line I can get to hook into custom built hydraulic hoses to carry the oil from the engine to the front.

I am actually thinking about a Mazda RX-7 aluminum oil cooler. They have a thermostat in them that works just like a coolant thermostat so the oil won't get too cold in the winter. The problem with that is pipe fittings on the block and metric at the cooler. Even though the 6.2 is a metric block, I want to keep this truck as simple as possible to work on while out and about. Mixing fittings between standard and metric is not something I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Joe, between you and Steve with your helpful suggestions, I might never get the truck on the road again. Why would I want to change the rings if the engine has good compression? Of course, I haven't gotten an engine into my class to do such a check either.
    You do know that you should get an engine running BEFORE you transplant it.

I just thought I would mention that.....
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Joe, you must have skipped over the first paragraph of my opening post. We are not having school after this Friday until September 4. I wanted to start bringing stuff in as I could over the next 4 weeks so once school starts again, we can go at it. I haven't brought an engine in yet. I really won't need to until mid September at the earliest either.

We need to remove the engine, clean up the engine compartment, do any wiring I decide we are going to do, remove the exhaust and if I can find all the pieces collected years ago. Install the a/c parts all with the easy access no engine allows. That will take weeks if not months.