Thread: body lift kit from a J10 and J20 work on M715

Default body lift kit from a J10 and J20 work on M715

Does anybody know if a body lift kit for a J10 J20 will work on a M715 ? i want to put 44 in tires on my M715 and I want to use a 3 in body lift kit from a J 10 or J 20 pick up truck to help make this job easier . I plan on doing a spring over lift and a 3 in body lift so can put on a new set of
    44 / 15 / 16 inch TLS Super Swamper and a set of Marshall 16 x 10 inch rims
    But Im also thinking of putting in 2.5 ton Rockwell frontend and rearend . Because the stock Dana 60 frontend has a reputatoin of breaking but this is a different subject and for a new thread .

You can probably run 44s with just the springover and shackle flip...

--Randy

I purchased a 1" kit from MORE for a CJ/YJ which worked fine to lift my cab way back when I first built my '715 -- no problems with them in 10 years. I recently needed to lift the bed for clearance (long story) and used 2-1/2" OD 6061 aluminum bar, cut to length with I think 1/2" holes drilled down the center for the bolts. Whatever you do I would stick with solid metal lift spacers and avoid the plastic or graphite-poly-whatever ones. The M715 has a pretty flexy frame which tends to put a lot of torsional stress on the body/bed mounts. That stress may cause the plastic spacers to crack...
    -Mudog
    '67 M715 #165
    521ci SFI BBF, 4R100/NP203/NP205
    GM D60 ARB/10.5" Det/5.13s/11.00-16 XZLs

You cannot run 44's with just a springover and shackle flip unless you want to destroy the tires/fenders...with those mods, 42's will rub...44's have been kept fom hitting too much with a 3 inch body lift added to a springover and shackle flip.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Do they hit the fenders or the frame? I have always wondered why a man could not remove the wheel wells, create a larger radius in the fender and reinstall the flares to get more room. Unless your using the solid aluminum mounts a body lift is a shabby was to go. They deteriorate over time and will break with any lateral stress. The stock suspension has little compression to it. it would seem to me that if you had a few inches of clearance you would be fine. Unless seriously offroading, then disregard. Snakeater
    COWBELL, you need more of it

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

42's on a springover and shackle flip alone are snug. I know, I have one sitting here in my lot right now. Normal driving OK, but if there is any flexing off road at full stuff, they will touch slightly up front. On the spring in the rear of the front, and on the fender flare in the front of the front.

You can re-radius the fenders like Spicergear did to his, but you end up with very little sheetmetal at the top of the front fenders then.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The person who did the body lift for the 44's, Rollie715, actually made new stel body mounts that looked like the factor body mounts only longer and better supported...they were well thought out and not cheap crap like I have seen on somany put togeter at a whim trail rigs.

Personally I am not a big fan of body lifts...just reporting what has been done in order to fit 44's in the past which gives a frame of reference for anyone considering this in the future.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Generally anything over 1-2" of body lift is maximum and only if absolutely necessary.

I am not a fan of body lifts at all. I've seen some pretty scary ones too.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™