Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M715 Restoration "Jeep Salad" thread.

Default M715 Restoration "Jeep Salad" thread.

This will be my first M715 restoration, I have restored a lot of M series vehicles and a WWII MB. Jeep salad as in I will be using 2 or more trucks to build one, trying to restore or re build as much as possible as I have limited funding as always. Starting out with a 68 M715 body and M725 complete truck, plan is to use the 725 as a chassis/drive train donor.

The engine turns over and "ran when parked" condition. First phase will be to remove the 725 body and then evaluate the engine, then sandblast and paint the frame. Please stop by often and check my progress and comment as I go along, always looking for comments good/bad. I will be posting extra parts to my needs and wanted parts, hope to be able to trade around to keep cost down. I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures as I know we all like pictures.

Thanks
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm guessing that is an original canvas top?
    Jonnie

Good question, it was on there when the PO got it, truck was last inspected in 2007 so has been on at least since then. It's in good shape except for the foggy window.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    I'm guessing that is an original canvas top?
    I suspect you are right. The reproduction tops that we have today have the "gutter" on an angle instead of horizontal as indicated in the photo.

First picture below is of my truck, in Germany, 1970; second picture is my truck today with a reproduction top.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    I suspect you are right. The reproduction tops that we have today have the "gutter" on an angle instead of horizontal as indicated in the photo.

First picture below is of my truck, in Germany, 1970; second picture is my truck today with a reproduction top.
    My reproduction top from WeeBee Webbing has the gutter straight like the originals. They built their tops from the original blueprints.

m38inmaine, when you pull the M725 body, before you scrap it there are several hard to find ambulance pieces I would pull and save, because there is always people looking for those common missing parts. As a matter of fact if it has a decent compartment door between the drivers area and rear, I would be interested in it. Items like the rear steps, litter racks, surgical light, all the hanging strap hardware, and the little red light lens in the rear are all ambulance specific parts that are often missing and usually about imposable to find.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

It has a nice sliding door with black out curtain, the surgical light was MIA, rear steps MIA, has one litter rack, will look for the other stuff. Just sent the door and window handles and rear latches to another member. I will hold the sliding door for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    My reproduction top from WeeBee Webbing has the gutter straight like the originals. They built their tops from the original blueprints.

That looks great, thanks for letting us know.

Made good progress today after work, my son helped me and we got all the body bolts torched off, front end off and steering removed. Also pictures of the sliding door, patient side handle missing and probably a knob for the sliding vent, otherwise nice with bottom rollers and weather strip.

Tonight I removed the dash panel, the 715 panel was heater hacked so this one will replace it. Removed the wiring harness, dimmer and starter switch and started on the transmission cover. Also removed about 40 lbs of "unauthorized" iron.

Quote Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
    It has a nice sliding door with black out curtain, the surgical light was MIA, rear steps MIA, has one litter rack, will look for the other stuff. Just sent the door and window handles and rear latches to another member. I will hold the sliding door for you.
    Thanks, I will send you a PM tomorrow when I get to work. But I will definitely take that sliding door.

Thanks Dave
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/