Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M715 on Barrett Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by venominjected View Post
    I'm attempting to do both with mine.... from 10 feet away from the side.. you would have no idea that it is even a restomod... you would think "old army truck"
    Most guys assume mine is stock(ish).
    I like the used, slightly shabby original look with a little more modern equipment underneath.

When I tell them what it originally came with most applaud my changes.
    In fact most are surprised that it didn't have a diesel originally :/

Paul
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

I really don't think there are any "purists" on this site. Zoners seem to be able to appreciate the M715 done as a full resto, full resto-mod and everywhere in between.

The one characteristic that sets zoners apart from other classic car groups is that we all like building trucks and appreciate the work that goes into the build whether it is a full resto or a blown and lifted mud truck.

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    I really don't think there are any "purists" on this site. Zoners seem to be able to appreciate the M715 done as a full resto, full resto-mod and everywhere in between.

The one characteristic that sets zoners apart from other classic car groups is that we all like building trucks and appreciate the work that goes into the build whether it is a full resto or a blown and lifted mud truck.

Nailed it perfectly.... can't say I've ever seen a zoner negatively comment from a purists to full mod or vice versa...

A benefit from Jon running a tight ship and the small knit family feeling of the probably only 15,000ish 715 community.... (I figure maybe half of 715's are stateside and still standing?)

2500 members here on the zone ever... with I think 250ish active
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

And unfortunately for both Nailhead and Kyken... while they have their opinions (and their respectfully yours)..... the market buying population as a whole is going in the opposite direction....

And in Nailheads comment.... again no disrespect meant... but if you were even 5-10 year old child during the Vietnam war... it puts you into the population pool of buyers that is no longer interested in buying collector vehicles... but selling them. (Again I mean this all in generalities and from a large sample size so please take that as no disrepect). Target buyer in the collector car market is 43-50 yrs old male... ( Born 1968-1975) You will soon see Fox Body mustangs, IROC Camaro's etc from mid 80's to early 90's command more value in an OEM form... not our trucks..... because that's what THEIR memories there trying to recapture were about... Very few buyers in larger $$$ vehicles have any "memories" to recapture with an M715. (If you remember the sounds of an 1967 M715 as a 20 year old trying to recapture your youth.. that puts you at 71 years of age.... which is no longer in the buying pool.)

Museum quality restores of OEM M715's are around $13-17,000 only unfortunately.

While inkling guy with restomod hardcore off road truck brings $22-$32,000. Market forces drive product and consumer direction... unfortunately it's just not a direction that will be popular among the purists on this website.

I'm attempting to do both with mine.... from 10 feet away from the side.. you would have no idea that it is even a restomod... you would think "old army truck"

Being born in 1975 and having both a 1983 Z28 and a fox body mustang in addition to my M715, I can back this up 100%, lol. Memories are a huge portion of the “old vehicle market”. I appreciate them all though, stock or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I consider myself a purist.
    But, I wasn't in my younger years.
    So I appreciate the thought, work, and craftsmanship that goes into modified vehicles.

I'm glad that the older, purist Dan ended up with my M715 considering that it was in pretty good condition when I found it for sale.
    Plus, the unbelievable documents that I found the glove compartment, that had been never removed since they were put in there 51 years ago.

The reward for me is seeing Vietnam Vets look over it, and then start telling the stories of being in country.

I'm not worried about market trends, as I'm probably going to will it to a military museum.

(If you remember the sounds of an 1967 M715 as a 20 year old trying to recapture your youth.. that puts you at 71 years of age.... which is no longer in the buying pool.)
    Yup, you nailed it again!
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

I've stood back to see what people had to say since I originally posted and I'm no further in decision making. I prefer stock...except for a cantankerous engine that should get new valve guides and hardened seats which sort of opens a can of worms....

Mine sits--and has for several years while life was in the way. It needs the wheel cylinders replaced and those have been sitting with the truck in the garage waiting on me. It's in great shape as a former FD brush truck but at 51 years old, it's a bit tired like me.

The long sit time had me pondering whether it was best to dive in or pass it on to someone who could actually dive in--I was hoping for a spark that might tip those scales (such as them finally being noticed for the great truck they are) but it looks like I need to focus inward--am *I* going to get the joy from this thing that the time and expense warrant. Do I have enough "love" for the process and truck to make it a "labor of love"...because it's never going to be anything else.

Still need to ponder. It's a tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
    I've stood back to see what people had to say since I originally posted and I'm no further in decision making. I prefer stock...except for a cantankerous engine that should get new valve guides and hardened seats which sort of opens a can of worms....

Mine sits--and has for several years while life was in the way. It needs the wheel cylinders replaced and those have been sitting with the truck in the garage waiting on me. It's in great shape as a former FD brush truck but at 51 years old, it's a bit tired like me.

The long sit time had me pondering whether it was best to dive in or pass it on to someone who could actually dive in--I was hoping for a spark that might tip those scales (such as them finally being noticed for the great truck they are) but it looks like I need to focus inward--am *I* going to get the joy from this thing that the time and expense warrant. Do I have enough "love" for the process and truck to make it a "labor of love"...because it's never going to be anything else.

Still need to ponder. It's a tough one.

There’s only one persons opinion that matters when it comes to your truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the M715 has a bad rep. in the military vehicle collector community ,but they are a really nice looking truck!

Quote Originally Posted by bmac6026 View Post
    the M715 has a bad rep. in the military vehicle collector community ,but they are a really nice looking truck!
    They do?

The Tornado OHC has a bad rep with some (buddy, co-builder, and PO of my truck, for example), but I've never heard anything negative about the general reputation of the truck itself.