Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood bed sides

Default Wood bed sides

I'm looking to build some wood sides for the bed .... like this one ..

I will never put any tarp on it ... so the metal bows will not be used. My first question is .... how originally they are made .... which dimensions of wood i need ? How they bolt in place ( if they bolt )

IF anyone have better close up pics of inside the bed .... this will help me building something

Thanks a lot
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

The wood rails in the photo are not stock. One of our members goes by the name of Binford. He made a pretty good post/thread last year, in which he made the stock wooden side rails. I'm sure that he posted dimensions, or the dimensions were posted by another member for that thread. A search for either Binford's threads or "troop seats" would probably guide you to the appropriate information.

The original oak wood for troop seats are 87 x 3 x 3/4 bolted with carrage head bolts. Total of 12 needed.

This pic is just before we replaced the wood. Truck is all stock except lift.

Just after starting back up after seating in storage for 20 years.

Thanks ... a pictures worth a thousands words ... The pillar that goes into the bed are the same for the troup seat , sides and top bows. I was not sure if they were one piece or more bolted together.

Yes i know on the pic it's not the original
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Yep you need the Metal Pillars. Sorry I couldn't find a more detailed pic of the pillars. This same topic was talked about just a couple months back with some really good up close pic's. I'm sure someone will post close up pic's. The 6 Pillars are each a little different. The front two can be interchanged from e side to side as long as you keep them to the front with out a problem. The middle two can be changed from side to side as long as they stay in the middle. They use two bolt holes in the upper two boards unlike the end pillars use only one bolt for the upper two boards. The rear pillars can not be changed from side to side. Due to the Strap loops. they face out rearward.

Hope this helps
    Cliff

my 2 1/2 ton ones have strap loops front ans rear, is that how all 2 1/2 ton ones were? or did I get two sets of rears?

Couldn't tell you about the 2 1/2 tons for sure. But I don't think they came with strap loops at both front and rear. I've seen many 715's only strap loops on rear.

Found them.

Default Troop Seats.

You can cut down a set of troop seats and side rails off of a Deuce. Just shorten them to fit and cut the fold down legs shorter to fit the M715.

there is a post on this modification, just do a search on troop seats.