Thread: The Kaiser has landed!

Default The Kaiser has landed!

Just got off the truck an hour ago....

Started right up! And then I broke my camera...

Nice truck! That's the kind of luck I have, I'd have probably drove the truck over the camera.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Glad you have her in your posession.....Now the madness can begin!

Of course you know you have to buy a new camera to keep us all posted on your progress with her..
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Fortunately, I have another camera at the house. Slightly lower resolution, but still workable.

Looks like a solid truck. What's next?
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

Drove it around a bit this morning. Looks like I need to replace the seal on the right rear hub as it has developed a bit of a leak. My main goal for the next couple of months is to work on getting it painted.

This probably isn't what you want to hear. However, I would suggest driving it around. Like a few hundred miles or more to see what all isn't working, what you think is about to fail, what you think you want to change, etc... Before you paint it. I don't know about everybody else, but I never seem able to do major mechanical work on something without scratching at least some paint no matter how carefull I am. I would hate to see you spend time and money on paint just to mess it up a few hundred miles later.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    This probably isn't what you want to hear. However, I would suggest driving it around. Like a few hundred miles or more to see what all isn't working, what you think is about to fail, what you think you want to change, etc... Before you paint it. I don't know about everybody else, but I never seem able to do major mechanical work on something without scratching at least some paint no matter how carefull I am. I would hate to see you spend time and money on paint just to mess it up a few hundred miles later.
    On this we agree.

Paint is the long term goal for the winter as it will likely take me most of it to prep and paint. I replaced the leaking hub seal yesterday and drove it a bit including to breakfast this morning. I do plan on driving it a bit more, but I think the most immediate thing to be addressed will be the tires. They look pretty good with only some slight surface cracking on the sidewalls, but I don't trust them for highway speeds or any long duration road time.

I'll probably start a post later today with the list of things that I want to fix/change/update.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I agree with Tim. Make the paint the last thing on your list. That way the greasy fingerprints, the scuffs, and general shop dust that seems to settle on anything around here after a couple weeks, don't leave you with repair work to do to your fresh paintjob.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™