Thread: Steering Column Parts

Default Steering Column Parts

It is amazing how stuff gets talked about so much we are all tired of seing it an then a few years later, nobody has a clue how to do it or where to get the parts. Two years ago, it seems a bunch of us were messing with our steering columns and all kinds of pictures and sources of parts got posted up. That version of the Zone isn't here anymore, so here is a parts source for some steering column repairs.

Again, this is just one source. I have the link because I bought and installed item #4 part #8132676K. Installation was a breeze. The only thing is I also replaced the rag joint at the same time. My power steering went from pinky finger easy sitting still to one hand pulling. That is how loose all my parts were. Everytime I think about how much harder it is to turn the wheel now, I remember how much safer I am now and forget about it.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/cheroke...sionSJ7491.htm
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Hey Barrman,

Did you find the info for the plastic bushing/bearing for the lower end of the column next to the firewall?
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wart Hog View Post
    Hey Barrman,

Did you find the info for the plastic bushing/bearing for the lower end of the column next to the firewall?
    I put one in my truck before the W.I.T.C. Fe. NOBODY had them, I got lucky and a member here contacted me with a spare. If you find them, please post where you found it.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Item # 5 is the lower bushing if I read that right. The FSJ and CJ trucks had a lot of the same parts in them.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Tim, PM Grantshire. He is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to early Jeep stuff and he has a ton of steering columns that he laid out for me and showed me all the nuances when I last visited him.

He knows all the details and what uses what parts etc.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

At one time I got the lower plastic bushing from Memphis Equip.

To make sure we are talking about the same item. I am looking for the plastic bearing #2 from the online parts catalog.

I will try Memphis and post the results.

Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Mine was worn out , I was able to find a brass bushing that fit the shaft ,and I used JBweld to keep it in place in the plastic, it seems to be holding up ,I think was a error in judment to make the bushing out of plastic in the first place

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by sf38a1 View Post
    I think was a error in judment to make the bushing out of plastic in the first place
    If the bushings ever saw any lubrication they probably would have lasted forever. I can't tell you the last time I greased my steering column bushings though!
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™