Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

The clutch looks like an easy fix. It looks like the brand new NAPA replacement clutch line ruptured. When I pulled the master cylinder off along with the line I was able to push the rod in by hand and watch fluid come out of the line where the plastic line is joined to the braided stainless section of line. I guess I'll see how good NAPA is on their warranty...at least I don't think I need to pull the transmission again...

I got the clutch line replaced today. And I took a picture that I forgot to get when I got the decals installed.

What I'm not sure about is the proper placement of the bridge decal for a USMC truck. I've seen several pictures of Army trucks with the decal on the upper front side of the door. I'm wondering if the USMC location is the same?

Looks good Paul
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Nice lookin truck!

Thanks George and Von.

This morning I finished my exhaust in conduit. It is piped from the down pipe to the tail pipe with no muffler. It isn't loud in the cab at idle but it is still somewhat loud when I rev the engine. I haven't taken it for a ride yet. I plan to after lunch.

I am chasing oil leaks still. I think I have one fixed and it seems another leak develops. The bad part about it is I believe I am being careful about applying gaskets and sealant and such but I still seem to have problems. I am sure it is operator error though at this point.

This morning while I was welding on my exhaust I noticed a wire I ran for my electric lift pump was pinched between the engine block and the bell housing. That must have happened when I had the transmission out last time. I don't use the lift pump much except when I run out of fuel or change the filter. It's obvious to me now that I don't really have the attention to detail I thought I did...I guess it's official I will only ever be a legend in my own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    ...I guess it's official I will only ever be a legend in my own mind.
    LOL, a lot of that going around. I usually try to keep mum about it though.

My ninth grade art teacher said that an artist is someone who knows how to hide their mistakes.
    At least I think that's what she said... I was always distracted by her chest. Magnificent... 36 years later and I'm still impressed..

This is getting old...

Yesterday my son took my truck to school. I didn't even know he did until today. When I got home from work yesterday it was parked right where I left it on Sunday. I took it in the evening to take my dog to the vet for her appointment. Everything was cool up to this point. On my way home from the vet the truck stalled at the first stop sign but fired right back up and made it home (about 10 miles) with no problem. I considered it a fluke that it stalled.

So this morning I was planning to take the truck to work. I got in and started it up. It didn't start as easy as normal (it cranked over a little slow). I took off anyway. I made it about a tenth of a mile down the road and the engine raced then stalled out. When I tried to restart it it would barely turn over.

I walked home and got my son to help me tow it home. That's when I found out he had driven it yesterday. (No I'm not upset that he drove it, just surprised.) He commented that he didn't think it was running that great by the time he got home. I didn't notice it not running good when I took the dog to the vet.

While I was being towed I decided to put it in gear and ease off the clutch to see if it would start. It did start but stalled out pretty quickly. I tried again but this time gave it some gas and it stayed running. We unhooked the strap and I ended up driving it back home and parked it.

So when I got home from work I tried to start it again. It barely turns over. I check the batteries and the terminals are corroded AGAIN. The batteries are also mostly discharged. At this point I'm guessing I have a parasitic load. I have a VOM that reads DC amps to 10 amps. I tried finding a load but do not read any load with the ignition switch off.

I think I have two separate problems. I think I have an electrical gremlin and a leak in the fuel line.

How's the alternator, and the cables? Is this happening to both terminals on both batteries?

My guess is a frequent overcharge undercharge situation if both terminals are corroding. But it could also be a ground or power cable has failed internally and its "back feeding"(for lack of better term) through the batteries.

I like to slice the outer shell on the cables(parallel) and peel it apart to check for corrosion or breaks-small incisions about 2" long can then be re-taped if no fault is found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The racing before it dies is a classic out of fuel symptom for the mechanical IP diesels. Does it have fuel?

I have found with my several 6.2 trucks on the road that a good set of batteries will turn the engine over enough in 10-12 second burst with a few minutes between to reprime the IP. A good set of batteries will not have enough oomph to reprime a second time a few minutes later. I have learned this lesson the hard way.

The last time I ran the M715 out of fuel, I thought I had enough in the tank to get to the fuel station. It started missing at highway speeds but idled fine. However, a stock M715 fuel tank needs 1 inch of fuel in the tank to let it get picked up. Starting and stopping slops the fuel away from the pick up tube. As will up or down slopes of even a few degrees. Mine died at a stop sign on an incline. I was able to refire after a few minutes of cranking. Then it died driving on the down hill run to the fuel station less than 4 minutes later. I was able to coast into the station and top it off. But I didn't have enough battery to re prime. Colton came in RED and pulled me home. I was able to pop the clutch and get it primed and running during that pull home. The belts were complaining a lot for about 10 minutes afterwards though trying to get the batteries back up.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

If you have the stock military alternator, it could be the cause of your dead batteries. The rectifier will go back and it will draw your batteries down. The best way to tell is to check for a spark when connecting the battery cables to the battery terminals. If you have all the loads turned off and the connection arcs (listen and look) then the most likely cause is a bad alternator.