Page 1 of 39 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your 715 today?

Default What did you do to your 715 today?

Thought i'd start a new topic for daily use. I thought it would be a cool spot for people to post the small things that they did on that day. I'll start I guess.

Todays modification to my truck involved utilizing my broken blackout lights. When I bought the truck they were not working so I decided to try and use them for blinkers.

Step 1: remove lights and gut the housings

Step 2: install blinker/flasher bulbs. I used an old trailer tail light and made a bracket so that it fits into the blackout light housing. This way the bottom strip of the blackout light is always on like a running light and the top roundish part is the actual blinker part.

Step 3: take amber turn signal tape and cover the light holes so that the light is yellow instead of white.

Step 4: reinstall and wire it up accordingly then step back and enjoy!

So what do ya think? Good idea??? It looks really cool at night and I like the fact that it still keeps the stock lights/ military look.
    Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Very good idea and nice execution.

Looks good. You made very good use of the housing, as long as you didn't care whether or not you had blackout markers. Did you use just a single bulb in the unit?
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

thanks guys!! I used a dual bulb unit that i took out of an old pair of trailer brake lights. i basically just took the guts from the trailer light and made a little braket to install it in the black out light houseing. one of the bulbs is always lit because i tied it into the lowbeam head light circuit. then the other bulb i tied into the turnsignal so that only comes on with the turn signal. I definately like the look of it.

so keeping in the spirit of this thread. post up what ever you guys did today. large or small, its always interesting to see what others are doing.

oh also if anyone does something like this to their lights, make sure you keep the rubber grommet that the wires run through. this way you can run your new wires through there and the lights remain water tight.

i took off my like new built 4l80e off due to a cracked bell housing i only has to loosen 2 bell housing bolts and she was out...
    68 383ls1 4l80e NP241 37s 4:11

Tyson, I like it . It would be super cool as turn signals!
    Chess , Dang it man! The 2 bolt part is sweet but does not make up for bitter taste of the cracked bell housing.
    I pulled off a piece of junk Chinese made mini starter I bought off of E-bay.
    Dang things mounting holes are sloppy and I have given up on shimming the potmetal mounting nose.
    I will do my best to pick up a American rebuilt starter at Autozone in the morning.
    I have the choice of straight or angled mounting pattern.
    Which one do yall think would be sturdier?

Chess, that sucks. At least it didn't take to much to get it out. I just helped my buddy put a rebuilt 2F toyota straight 6 into his landcruiser and it took us about 3 hours to get it in cuz there were all sorts of things in the way plus the clutch fork kept falling off.

Jpsnblood, I did hook them up as turn signals. With the headlights turned off, they function exactly like turnsignals but with the headlights turned on the bottom bulb stays on like a running light and the top light only flashes when I put my turn signal on. I like how it came out. What motor are you buying a starter for?

oops
    Small block chevy
    Out of all the things I have lost. I miss my memory the most!

I have a straight mini high torque starter and it works great on my SBC 350.