Thread: New owner of 68 M715 looking for advice please

Question New owner of 68 M715 looking for advice please

Hi all, I've been doing a lot of reading on several different forums after buying a 68 M715 a couple weeks ago. I found one on Craigslist for a grand with very little rust and most everything in tact, and fell in love. Seller claims that it runs, but I haven't verified yet as the batteries need replaced. I have already located another Craigslist gem of a donor truck, a 95 Dodge SRW with 5.9L Cummins and a manual transmission. My plan is to swap in the diesel after it is rebuilt and upgraded a bit (400hp+-). I'm also wanting to keep the AC as well. The clutch has already been upgraded so it should hold. I plan on swapping the axles over from the Dodge as well so that I can have modern brakes, more gear, wheel and tire options, and have the ability to travel faster than 50 mph. I also plan on swapping from 24v to 12v and installing a new harness so I don't have to worry about electrical issues, or buying expensive replacements.

The posts I have read suggest that fitting the diesel in is tight but doable, but I need to do a springover lift. Also I read that I can use the axles from the Dodge, but would need to change out the stock transfer case to an NP205. Anyone with experience doing these swaps have advice? Anything I'm wrong on? Also, I'm looking to get replacement gauges that come close in appearance to the factory gauges, any suggestions?

My truck will see a bit of off roading, but mostly street, and some towing

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.

There is a lot of Cummins swap info here, look at threads by Mikel and Venominjected for a start.....
    Is that real money?

Will do, thanks ray

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger6422 View Post
    Hi all, I've been doing a lot of reading on several different forums after buying a 68 M715 a couple weeks ago. I found one on Craigslist for a grand with very little rust and most everything in tact, and fell in love. Seller claims that it runs, but I haven't verified yet as the batteries need replaced. I have already located another Craigslist gem of a donor truck, a 95 Dodge SRW with 5.9L Cummins and a manual transmission. My plan is to swap in the diesel after it is rebuilt and upgraded a bit (400hp+-). I'm also wanting to keep the AC as well. The clutch has already been upgraded so it should hold. I plan on swapping the axles over from the Dodge as well so that I can have modern brakes, more gear, wheel and tire options, and have the ability to travel faster than 50 mph. I also plan on swapping from 24v to 12v and installing a new harness so I don't have to worry about electrical issues, or buying expensive replacements.

The posts I have read suggest that fitting the diesel in is tight but doable, but I need to do a springover lift. Also I read that I can use the axles from the Dodge, but would need to change out the stock transfer case to an NP205. Anyone with experience doing these swaps have advice? Anything I'm wrong on? Also, I'm looking to get replacement gauges that come close in appearance to the factory gauges, any suggestions?

My truck will see a bit of off roading, but mostly street, and some towing

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.
    Hello,
    I am not familiar with those axles, but I see no reason why the entire drivetrain (eng/trans/TC/axles) could not be transplanted into the truck. A 6BT does fit an unlifted M715 if place carefully and if the mechanical fan is removed.
    Good luck.

Not for everyone, but a body swap is a way to go also.

Body swap project with 2004 Sierra 2500HD

Gonna have to also suggest a body swap ...

Doing a complete re-power with a diesel and swapping axles on a 50 year old frame makes one question things like metallurgy, modern(ish) suspension and frame rigidity.

I just got done with mine and I had lots of compromises. Figure it would have been much easier to just make some new body mounts and move the old sheet metal onto a newer frame. If I had to do it all over thats what I would do.

Paul
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

Thanks Suby and 12998....I started looking into possibly swapping the body over onto the 95 Dodge frame...I ran across a thread on one of the sites where someone was doing something similar, but it seemed like they were having issues getting the body to sit well on the frame. I'll have to see if I can find the schematics for the frames and see if it may work easier than transplanting everything else over. Would be nice to have a more modern suspension under there as well.

The issue seems to be with the cargo box under the bed when using a regular cab long box frame to build on. I measured up a extended cab short box Ford frame from the early 90's and figured that I could have easily used that instead of the original frame.
    I suppose either way its a bunch of work. Your call on how you want to spend your time/money.
    1967 M715 7.3 diesel 5spd ...

I found swapping modern axles and a diesel into the existing frame easier then doing a complete chassis swap (Which I've done before with a 1947 Ford onto a modern 90's P30 chassis.)

The 715 frame rigidity is much better in both quality of steel and design (fully boxed) then most modern 3/4 ton+ C channels.

67' M715
    1990 Ford F350 Dana 60 Front/Sterling 10.25 Rear
    Cummins 5.9L 12 Valve, Ford ZF S542, NP205
    4 Wheel Disc Brakes via 2010 Duramax Hydroboost
    1990 Ford F250 Clutch Master Cylinder
    OEM M-715 Pedal Linkage
    1987 Chevy Blazer 6.2L Diesel 25 Gallon Fuel tank
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205