Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My '67 Project

Not sure if this is 100 % correct...

It seems the discontinued starter motor number is 943607:

Maybe some of the NSN or FSN numbers on the page, or other mnfg's numbers will help you here:

http://www.wbparts.com/rfq/2920-00-933-3727.html
    hostis est intra portas tuas

Ouch... Greece... Unknown price.
    PN 11640749

http://www.armytrucks.gr/armytrucks.php?cat=137&rec=418

another requiring contact here:

http://catalog.sandstruck.com/item/-...trucks/s-f379?

one more:
    943607-RB STARTER REBUILT, exchange 195.00
    http://www.surplusjeep.com/m-715.htm
    Last edited by Blitz; September 7th, 2014 at 07:06 PM.

so on an upside, I should be getting a starter by the end of the week, downside again as I discovered the PO covered the bed with Bondo, looks like the rear was hit at some point, so instead of pulling the dent, they filled it with body fill, so over an inch thick layer popped off as I was examining the suspicious looking crack in the upright at the rear of the bed

Overall it actually isn't that bad, just means a little more work then anticipated

besides the starter, I will also need to check the radiator, possible core leak, but again minor, my dads shop can check it and solder it or send it to get re-cored(probably $150, my dads 2A was $100)

does anyone happen to know what the fan shroud was made of? my truck "has" one, but it prompley fell apart as removed it for better access to the crank bolt so I could turn the engine over(finding TDC #1 and put MMO down the cylinders)Looks like fiber glass, so I figured on adding a layer to it, just want to double check

Welcome aboard. I am up in Colebrook. Let me know what you need for more parts, I might have it. Do have a bed.
    1968 M725(2)
    1967 M715
    1967 M725(2)
    1963 M43
    1954 M37
    1967 M103A3 w/M1010 Body

just a little update, waiting for a starter to arrive, so I checked the ring gear, looks like I may want to flip it, some spots are pretty worn- I assume from using an incorrect starter

also checked the rear brakes, new backing plates, but that was it, junk wheel cylinders(no rubber or rods), worn pads. probably get away with cylinders for now.

what place is the best place to get good wheel cylinders? I see boyce has them for $35, memphis has them on sale for $29, still have to call to see if they come with the pins. any other places to check out?

Quote Originally Posted by 67smith View Post

what place is the best place to get good wheel cylinders? I see boyce has them for $35, memphis has them on sale for $29, still have to call to see if they come with the pins. any other places to check out?

People here have come up with modern equivalents for those (from a E350 van). If you do a search you'll find the part numbers.

These work as a retrofit.
    You have to slightly enlarge the mounting holes on the backing plate, with a dremmel tool.

The Shoes, Springs and wheel cylinders are shown.
    as Mikel said, these are from an E 350.

Some detailed pics in the album, showing the complete job.. pretty much step by step.
    proper Spring placement, adjuster placement and the "arrow" going forward on the upper plate.
    you do have to trim the ears off the shoes a bit, and grind down a hump on each show where it touches the backng plate.

The problem I ran into was not being able to get the stock shoes easily, so I did the conversion to "of the shelf" parts.

now I have a box of old shoes, and several backing plates and drums...
    go figure

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

If you can get stock parts.... it might be more $ but it sure would be faster.

EDIT.. I also reused my old wheel cylinder rods...
    the new WC's did not come with them.
    Last edited by Blitz; September 21st, 2014 at 11:32 PM.

this is what was in there:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

sorry the album pics are out of order...
    every time I fix them, they default back to some illogical order that photobucket chooses.
    There is some good info there if you do the conversion.

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/Blitz777/library/

Here is the old thread on doing the conversion, just for future use.

posted By Warthog in 2008:

I followed these instructions.

Wheel Cylinder Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    this is what was in there:

[IMG][URL=http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/Blitz777/media/Brakes009_zpsee165697.jpg.html]

As a friend of mine who was in the automotive machine shop business for many years, it is "NFG" for sure! I don't know if I saved a picture of my wheel cylinders. But they surely looked just like yours! The master cylinder looked the same as well.

I used the replacements from AB Linn. They mounted up fine. But the push rods (piston to shoe) were not cut right. I had to file the groove in the rod wider because it would not fit the shoe. Since my brakes are about 4 years old now, I think maybe I should rebuild the cylinders with new rubber parts BEFORE they leak all over the shoes.

Comments?