Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uhhh......this is not good.

Default Uhhh......this is not good.

So I crawled up underneath the truck and saw that I have a missing plug! Fortunately I have not driven the truck but maybe 10 miles since it was delivered to me, but this was a great lesson in checking out the truck before you drive it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Actually...

That is good. It is not supposed to have a plug in it unless you are fording.

You can read the operator's manual for more info.

If you plug it, any oil that leaks out the rear main will accumulate in the bell housing and eventually result in clutch failure.

Default Blood pressure returning to normal...

Kwai,

You have made my day. I was worried.

Not driving this sucker until all fluids are replaced. Ordered some Rotella 10W30, got filters, air filter is on its way, carb kit is sitting here looking at me, waiting for me to fumble through the carb rebuild. Thank the sweet Lord for the YouTube, and you guys. I might survive this yet.

Edit: And once you know what something is, lo and behold, there is found an answer....Bellhousing Plug

RB
    Last edited by ColoradoSpringsRob; February 27th, 2018 at 04:13 PM.

Next, you will feel the urge to find out what size it is and then go buy one so when you get into deep water you will have it.

While just a standard NPT thread, unless you really do plan to go into deep water, a lot. Don't bother getting the rolling glove box noise maker like others have. If like me, you will only remember you have it after you went through water.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I leave mine open so that my rear main seal leak has somewhere to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    I leave mine open so that my rear main seal leak has somewhere to go.
    Me too...

Default Bellhousing Plug Source

Guys,

Here in Colorado, I will occasionally be crossing creeks and what not.

Is there a good source for the proper plug? Thought I would ask before I go and check all the MV part sites.

Thanks. RB

Any hardware or plumbing store. It is just a standard pipe thread plug. I just can't remember the size right now and don't have mine around to measure.

A word of caution. If you plan to be in water up to the rocker panels or deeper. Brakes, hubs, axles, transfer case and transmission will have to be services with new fluids for all. Yes, it sounds a bit over kill. However, water will get into all of them and cause issues over time if not removed. Any natural water crossing will have silt. That will eat your brakes up amazingly fast afterwards.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Barrman,
    Thanks. That is good to know about what needs to be done after fording. It is surprising though that that much has to be serviced. Is there a way to modify some of these systems so that they are not as susceptible to water crossings? I doubt I get up to the rockers on most creek stuff, but man, that is a lot of work to do when I get home.

I just picked up my Maintenance Manual from Staples, $24 bound with shiny plastic covers. Thing will be ruined in six months and I will need another one...but it sure is pretty right now.

Hopefully this will help reduce the number of questions that I post...

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ColoradoSpringsRob; March 1st, 2018 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSpringsRob View Post
    Barrman,
    Thanks. That is good to know ...
    Hopefully this will help reduce the number of questions that I post...
    Hopefully, you will NEVER stop asking questions. We freely share information. Nothing is kept close to the chest and we do not get tired of questions.

Thanks for asking.