Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: M715 Hauler / Crawler Build

nice build keep it up

I wire wheeled, pressure washed and acetone wiped the frame. Shot two coats of Rustoleum primer then 2 coats of Rustoleum Satin black. Same treatment to the rear leaf springs (polyurethane bushings too). I boxed in the front frame horns to help tie in the spring hanger crossmember and added some gussets as well.

Well... I couldn’t ignore it any longer. After I put the wheels and tires on the rear axle it became quite obvious that I had a problem. Both axle tubes were bent upwards. We tried to shrink the long leg of the tube with just heat which worked a little but not nearly enough. Then a screw jack, some light chain and heat… the chain didn’t last long. So a quick stop to Harbor Freight and now we had a chance. In the end it came out very straight, the axle tubes are straight & level to each other. Both axle flange mounting surfaces were within .1° of perpendicular. I was now a little suspect of the rest of the axle so I popped the diff cover off and found a lock washer floating around in the gear oil. So after burning a weekend fiddling with an axle I was hoping was a runner, I’m pretty glad I did.

Kinda makes me think that these axles just may have been "Abused" a little at one time. .

Yeah, I'm thinking it may have seen some air time or a rollover. Takes quite a bit of force to bend 3.375 OD x .500 wall tube.

More progress,

Put the 14 bolt under the truck
    Mounted the steering box and drag link
    Wire wheeled, pressure washed and undercoated the bottom of the cab
    Wire wheeled, pressure washed and undercoated the bottom of the bed
    I used Harbor Freight aerosol truck bed liner, went on pretty good, we’ll see how it holds up
    Put all the body work back on

Next up I need to find or make the Canvas Enclosure Frame Assemblies (item 3 shown below). Surplus City has them listed for $200 a piece, at that price I’ll just make my own. I am already past the point of keeping things original. Anyone have some for sale or know where to find them?

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserM715 View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking it may have seen some air time ...
    I am somewhat embarrassed to say that at age 21, whilst a SP4, 1969 in Blanding, UT, I decided to take our M725 for a ride out on the mesa. Most of the area was dirt roads with an occasional "wash" where the water from thunderstorms would drain off of the mesa. So, I am going along and come to a wash. Just a dip in the road. Well, went down in the wash and came back up on the other side. Mind you, the wash was only about as wide as the M725 was long. Of course, I didn't let off of the gas. As I exited the wash, I went airborne. The M725 flew up in the air and came down on the front axle. The litters came loose in the back and one started to short the batteries. I quickly stopped that fireworks. (Remember, 21 years old) When I got back and parked the thing, I noticed that oil was running out of the front differential in the middle. I thought that maybe the cover was loose. I tried to tighten it. No joy.

Later, I got really scared. So, I loosened the cover, let all of the oil out and when it stopped dripping, I tightened the bolts. We were in a very dusty red clay area so all oil leaks looked like rust! I tossed a handful of that loose dust on the cover. It looked like it had been oily forever.

We drove that truck for almost another year until it started to give some problems. What had happened was that the differential split in the middle ever so slightly. Yeah, it was dumb. Yeah, it cost the US Army some money (as well as us citizens).

So, that said, I can identify with being airborne and we ain't talking 101st or 82nd...

I think Ken in Kentucky has some take-off frames. Send a PM to KyKen and ask.

Scott
    '67 M715 '67 M725 '69 M726 (x2)

"it's cheap and you get all you can shove in your pie-hole" --Kozmo 12-10-13

KyKen doesn’t have any left. Vintage Power Wagons quoted me $250 for the pair.

Scored some Goodyear MTRs on Craigslist. 37 x 12.5 x 17. Not exactly what I need but for less than cost of one 40 x 13.5 x 17 they’ll have to do for now. So at 65 mph I’ll be turning 2750 RPMs which is pretty high for a big block. I am banking of the fact that this truck has the aerodynamics of a brick and will be near 7000 lbs when I’m done so turning higher RPMs should help push this thing down the freeway. Of course I had to put them under the truck, it’s looking like 3” of backspace on the wheels will set them where I want to be. Probably going with Marsh Racing Wheels non beadlock 17 x 9.

I played around with a few different flat colors and ended up with desert tan (khaki). I didn’t do much paint prep, just wire wheeled and sanded off the loose paint then washed it. I got the Marsh Racing Wheels 17 x 9 w/ 3” of backspacing mounted up.