Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Brake Shoes

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Here is a NAPA link: http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...d=3&SubCatId=1

This listing is for a 30 series rear brake shoe set on a P30 Chevy chassis....I also seem to recall they fit the J30 Jeep chassis too. They are 13" X 2.5" The Gladiator used them too:

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...d=3&SubCatId=1
    Last edited by randyscycle; September 22nd, 2008 at 06:42 PM.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Before you go modifying civvie stuff.

You can get the your current pads re-shoed from Memphis EQ, or buy all new ones - OE stock. No mods needed.

Zach

Jester Guest

Thanks. Still confused but getting closer.

Trying to decide if I should have them relined or modify the NAPA ones.

Whatever happened to the post about using the chevy backing plate? I have been away, and lost it.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post
    Before you go modifying civvie stuff.

You can get the your current pads re-shoed from Memphis EQ, or buy all new ones - OE stock. No mods needed.

Zach
    The reason I did the mod, was because when I called Memphis they wanted $25 per shoe for relined and my old ones in exchange. That is $100 per axle. $200 for the truck. Then I have to wait a week for UPS to bring the shoes and sit on the core charge for another week. I can buy brake shoes for my Deuce, which are twice that size for the same price, and outright with no core exchange. I think the M715 shoes are overpriced personally, but that is just my opinion.

In this case, I had a few old GM axles laying around, stripped a set of old shoes and sent them back for the core on a $60 complete set of shoes which are readily available off the shelf. With a quick measurement, and less that 20 minutes, I had all four shoes modified to fit. The one time expense of $10 for the springs makes that a non-issue for future replacement. The switch to the E250 Ford wheel cylinders also assures that I will always be able to procure them locally as well.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    The reason I did the mod, was because when I called Memphis they wanted $25 per shoe for relined and my old ones in exchange. That is $100 per axle. $200 for the truck. Then I have to wait a week for UPS to bring the shoes and sit on the core charge for another week. I can buy brake shoes for my Deuce, which are twice that size for the same price, and outright with no core exchange. I think the M715 shoes are overpriced personally, but that is just my opinion.

In this case, I had a few old GM axles laying around, stripped a set of old shoes and sent them back for the core on a $60 complete set of shoes which are readily available off the shelf. With a quick measurement, and less that 20 minutes, I had all four shoes modified to fit. The one time expense of $10 for the springs makes that a non-issue for future replacement. The switch to the E250 Ford wheel cylinders also assures that I will always be able to procure them locally as well.
    I am going with the E350 cylinders but am torn on the shoes. Can't find any in stock locally. I can have the stock ones relined locally for $23 a shoe.

I dont have a core to exchange so the shoes run almost $70 plus still have to mod them.

A 15 to 20 bucks relining, even 25 bucks, for my understanding is the better choise than to modify some civil parts. Original shoe is allways original. If you have the choise of instead 1/4 inch get a lining of f.e. 7 mm (only .65 mm thicker than 1/4 inch), you also pass the problems with the drum wear out.
    When I order brake shoes to be relined, I always ask for 7 mm thickness, even this is no standard measure for linings over here. Here you get 6 mm, 8 mm or 10 mm linings to be afixed to the shoe. The diffenence they grind down for no extra costs over here. We pay some 25 Euro per shoe and think that this price is fair, VAT of 19 % will be added!
    For this price we get asbestos free first quality lining material, heat resistant, low wear of the lining and less of the drum.
    Wolf

Jester, I may have extras. You can have them and give me your old ones for cores. I think they are all good too. No lets see where did I see those again.

I have some as well.

You guys are late....Jester needed the shoes two years ago.....LOL
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!