Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1968 m715

Default 1968 m715

Hello from Eastern Washington. I picked up an M series truck that has seen farm and field duty for the past 25, or more years. It is all stock, and needs a lot of work, but it does run, drive and stop- not not road worthy yet.

Edit:

Plans include an eventual drivetrain swap/upgrade. Not sure about keeping the stock axles, or swapping them out.
    Last edited by 66stepside; October 9th, 2018 at 08:32 PM.

She’s home and I’m just now cleaning her up and out.

It passed the highway patrol inspection.

Maybe there’s a few military paint tags underneath all this other paint?

She runs, drives and stops. A previous owner redid all the brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing, look forward to see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by m38inmaine View Post
    Thank you for sharing, look forward to see how it turns out.
    I agree, great to see another one of our trucks being rescued. Thanks for sharing.

Someone at the Zoo told me a good way to remove old paint... I'll have to look it up again. Didn't involve sanding or aircraft paint stripper.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Someone at the Zoo told me a good way to remove old paint... I'll have to look it up again. Didn't involve sanding or aircraft paint stripper.
    Oven cleaner! He was doing some old tractor wheels... can't imagine how many cans it would take on an M715...

https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtop...34155#p5450425

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Oven cleaner! He was doing some old tractor wheels... can't imagine how many cans it would take on an M715...

https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtop...34155#p5450425
    I wonder how well that would work on GI OD paint: the paint on my tailgate took 2-3 applications of aircraft stripper, and I still had to do a LOT of sanding. That stuff is like green porcelain.

Default 1968 m715

Thanks everyone- and I will try the oven cleaner just for grins.

I cut off the excess brackets sticking way out front and rear, and removed the old homemade seat brackets, installing stock seats:

I snagged a set of matching 1 ton axles off a 92 Dodge:

I’m thinking of a drivetrain swap: 97 Chevy 350 mated to the 2wd NV4500 and keeping the divorced t-case in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 66stepside; November 8th, 2018 at 10:53 AM.

I love the interior door panels. Are you going to keep that design?

Seriously though, my truck came with a 2 1/2 ton winch on the front and the bracelets were welded on. It took lots of grinding to salvage the frame without damaging it. Hope you can do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
    I wonder how well that would work on GI OD paint: the paint on my tailgate took 2-3 applications of aircraft stripper, and I still had to do a LOT of sanding. That stuff is like green porcelain.
    Probably wouldn't touch the OD. The fella that used it was restoring an old tractor. It had a coat of cheap paint over the original paint. The oven cleaner worked great on the cheap paint and didn't damage the original paint at all.
    Looking at the way the white coat on 66stepside's truck is peeling, I bet a shot of oven cleaner would clear that mess up.