Thread: water in oil

Unregistered Guest

Default water in oil

Hi All, I just purchased a 1965 Jeep Wagoneer with the 230 Tornado motor
    There water present in the oil. My question is whether or not this is coming from a blown head gasket. All my plugs are dry and burning clean. could this be caused from a problem at the timing cover?
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks Steve

Welcome Steve
    I love Jeep Wagoneers.

What are you seeing, milky oil?
    Do a pressure test on the coolant system. And a compression test on all cylinders before tearing into the engine, as gasket kits for the Tornado are very expensive.
    Besides a failing head gasket, there are two freeze plugs under the timing chain cover that might be rusting through.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    Welcome Steve
    I love Jeep Wagoneers.

What are you seeing, milky oil?
    Do a pressure test on the coolant system. And a compression test on all cylinders before tearing into the engine, as gasket kits for the Tornado are very expensive.
    Besides a failing head gasket, there are two freeze plugs under the timing chain cover that might be rusting through.

Yes, Milky oil. We did do a compression check. All cylinders between 135 and 150
    We pulled the water pump to see if there was corrosion in the housing. That was not the case. This motor has about 90,000 and had sat for almost 20 years. The guy i bought it from did all the initial work to get it running and said this is a new development. he also said it never ran hot. Is the freeze plug a common weak point?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is the freeze plug a common weak point?
    Not necessarily, but when my tornado engine's old freeze plugs were removed during the rebuild, some were rusted pretty thin.

Remember, these engines are reaching 50 years old, with more than likely, poor maintenance toward the end of their lives.

If your engine has been sitting for 20 years, the antifreeze is probably 20+ years old also, with no corrosion inhibiters left in it.

Try to do the coolant pressure test.
    Good luck, and keep us posted.

Unregistered Guest

Default found the problem

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdan View Post
    Not necessarily, but when my tornado engine's old freeze plugs were removed during the rebuild, some were rusted pretty thin.

Remember, these engines are reaching 50 years old, with more than likely, poor maintenance toward the end of their lives.

If your engine has been sitting for 20 years, the antifreeze is probably 20+ years old also, with no corrosion inhibiters left in it.

Try to do the coolant pressure test.
    Good luck, and keep us posted.
    So it turns out to be the freeze plug after all! It was the one on the head that was hidden from view. it had a hole the size of a pea. Your picture was really helpful. Thanks for all your Help.

This is the wrong forum for tech questions...in the future please register and post in the appropriate forum...its free and we NEVER spam or sell or give out email addresses or any other info.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!