Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selectro Hub Install

Jester Guest

Default Selectro Hub Install

I have a set of Selectro hubs on order (p/n 11035-01). Thanks to the many threads on this, most of the prelim questions are answered.

Replace with bolts and remove studs???

I plan on replacing the studs with grade 8 bolts. I know that they are 7/16-14 but how long - unconfirmed rumor was 1-1/2? Washers and lock washers?

I am going to actually try to document the process when I do the install. I know its not rocket science but all the info in spot may help someone.
    Last edited by Jester; October 23rd, 2010 at 11:56 AM.

The bolts on mine have backed out a couple of times. I plan to replace them with studs once again--albeit shorter versions since they are finger grabbers.

Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
    The bolts on mine have backed out a couple of times. I plan to replace them with studs once again--albeit shorter versions since they are finger grabbers.
    This happened to me too, even with lock washers. I've never heard it mentioned before and I was really surprised to see it.

I used 1 1/2 length bolts.

Anyone try Locktite? That and a good lockwasher should work...hopefully...

Nasty things to lose offroad...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Hazel mentioned in an unrelated article in JP something about this tendancy with bolts rather than studs. Since the factory used studs, I thought I'd go back that way. Just too lazy to round up the parts yet. The factory ones tend to make operation of the knob a little difficult.

Jester Guest

Hmm. Good to know. Think I will start with bolts, lock washers and locktite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Hmm. Good to know. Think I will start with bolts, lock washers and locktite.
    That's what I did. After the bolts kept backing out on me without the locktite. I still check them though. Haven't driven it much since I put the locktite on though....
    -- Tim Taylor

You can get crimped lock nuts to go on the new studs. They have the three stamps that deform the last thread or two and stay put well. Be sure and get grade 5 or 8 studs. I ran a home made full float kit on the back of my CJ for years with this set up. With a locker it was hard to find something that worked and stayed tight. Those nuts did.
    My duece selectros came with new bolts and lock washers. I need to check them.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I used grade 8 bolts (don't remember the length) and lock washers. I did use Blue Locktite as well. Be sure when you do that to use Blue as it is removeable, and also to clean the thread holes very well, or else the Loctite won't do much in a oily or greasy bolt hole.

I've logged quite a few miles both off and on road and never had one loosen yet.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Jester Guest

The hubs arrived yesterday. Put them on today.

Bolts are grade 8. Size is 7/16-14x1-1/2". Grade 8 washers and lock washers as well.

First off was getting the old flanges off and the studs out. I backed off the nuts then welded them to the end of the stud. A couple were stubborn but eventually got them all out.

Once they were out, I chased the threads and cleaned everything up to get all the grease off.

Following the instructions, I took the handle off the hub and mounted the flange. A little blue loctite on each bolt in addition to the lock washer.

Then the handle was remounted to the flange. The whole process was about 2 hours including messing with a couple of stubborn studs.