Thread: Speedometer problem

Default Speedometer problem

My factory SW 503-C speedometer has sat still for over 3 years and now that the ambulance is driving again, it reads about 15-20 MPH lower than the speed I'm traveling. The cable is new NOS that I pulled the center out and cleaned with solvent to remove all the gummy lube and then I re-lubed with speedometer cable lube before I installed it. The speed seems to be more off the faster I go.
    I'm basing this assessment on both GPS and generally knowing the speed of the traffic around me on roads I'm familiar with.

I can't find anything on here about being able to service or open up that speedometer. Anyone have any recommendations in this area or had this same problem?

I also just posted a "wanted ad" for a good used speedometer in the classified section of the zone. Please let me know if you can help me out either way.

Cheers,
    Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance

Quote Originally Posted by brycer1968 View Post
    My factory SW 503-C speedometer has sat still for over 3 years and now that the ambulance is driving again, it reads about 15-20 MPH lower than the speed I'm traveling. The cable is new NOS that I pulled the center out and cleaned with solvent to remove all the gummy lube and then I re-lubed with speedometer cable lube before I installed it. The speed seems to be more off the faster I go.
    I'm basing this assessment on both GPS and generally knowing the speed of the traffic around me on roads I'm familiar with.

I can't find anything on here about being able to service or open up that speedometer. Anyone have any recommendations in this area or had this same problem?

I also just posted a "wanted ad" for a good used speedometer in the classified section of the zone. Please let me know if you can help me out either way.

Cheers,
    Bryce
    That's exactly how mine works: farther off the faster I go, and it was made worse by the Superlugs I got, which are taller than NDCC's.

I remember a place called North Hollywood Speedometer from my Fiat/Abarth days-- maybe they're still in business & can help you out.

Default feeling a little sheepish now

I thought about my speedometer problem a little more and it dawned on my this weekend that the speedometer error I am seeing is consistent with the amount of gearing change I introduced into the drivetrain when I re-geared my axles from 5.87 to 4.56 gears. Mystery solved and sorry to have wasted anyones time.

Cheers,
    Bryce
    1969 M725 ambulance