Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M725 spare tire mount

This is what I made. I relocated the winch away from the tire for ease of cranking. I made a plate with a sort of pulley and two 1/2" threaded rods to hold the tire, which go through two lug holes in the rim.

Thanks, that looks great. What is the length of the bolts?

Sorry, I don't recall.

I'm not all that familiar with 725's, but my M43 was stout enough that a carrier could be mounted to the rear next to the door hinges. It would have to made full-width to latch on the other side of the truck, but I think it would work.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of a custom tire carrier that I think will work for my
    M725. Just mount it to the rear door frame.
    https://youtu.be/8pbV7zbt7Gw

Default Rear mounted spare tire

If you click on my user name you can make your way to my photo album. I have several photos of my rear mounted heavy duty rear mounted spare tire. And, I added a narration to who welded it for me.
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

Default HUMMER spare tire carrier

wantapinz2,

I like that design over my spare tire carrier. I don't like that I can't open my rear door from the inside to get out in an emergency. I also like the winch design, but I think my HUMMER tires are too big to fit in the original location.

There is a military HUMMER rear bumper tire carrier that also "spread-rods" down to lift the tire up into position, but they are hard to find. Here is a photo I found: http://www.armyproperty.com/Equipmen...ries/MASTC.htm

Good luck in your search,
    Last edited by MJCougler; October 11th, 2018 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added "military"
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY