Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tow dolly for the M715

I re read my post from yesterday just now and realized I might have come across as an equipment snob. That was not my intent.

I have flat towed my M715 behind a M1009-top speed I could steer was 32. Behind a 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban-top speed I could steer was 40. Behind my M35A2 without even knowing it was there besides seeing the shadow in my mirrors.

I have also used my M715 to flat tow M1009 trucks. Couldn't tell it was there except needed wider turning radius. Several 3/4 ton square body suburbans. They didn't like getting towed as much as the M1009's. I even was stupid enough to flat to my 1952 Gasser M35 behind the M715 for almost 50 miles. 25 mph was the top speed I had control of the combination.

So, when I suggested getting a bigger pulling truck and a more than big enough trailer or hiring it out. It was because I have been there and done that.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I use an 18' 8 lug car hauler for mine and towed with the 1 ton Superduty, you still know it's back there every step along the way. These are very heavy trucks to move around.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Thanks for the replies. I ended up calling the tow truck and got it towed, but I’m going to have to tow this beast again to get the title for it. There was a title issue so a deal was worked out with the owner of an impound lot to where I have to bring the truck back and a judge is going to certify a new title. The sale of the vehicle is contingent upon getting that title and the PO gave me the paperwork and said it should happen within the next month. I’ll post some pics of it in my other thread if y’all want to check them out. I know it’s going to be a lot of work and I don’t have a tremendous amount of mechanical, but I’m determined to get it running and I’m willing to learn and to buy a welder. I’ll most likely be posting a lot of pictures followed by a lot of questions so everyone bear with me. I’m located in Port Royal, SC right next to Parris Island so maybe I can track down some marine mechanics to offer some guidance. I did see a guy driving a M35 the other day and there’s one parked up at the BBQ place over in town that’s run by a retired marine so I might have to swing by sometime and talk with him.

This is how the army towed this damaged M715 in 1969. I don't know the absolute particulars but I was driving a gasser 5-ton long bed. Obviously, it was snowing. I think that this is in Clovis, NM. And the second picture is how I got my M-715 to Florida. It was pulled behind a 17 foot U-Haul Ford truck. I actually exceeded the max weight by about 200 pounds as the M715 weighs about 5500 pounds according to the data plate.

Glad it went OK for you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Towed mine home from Western WI to Minneapolis with my 3/4 ton Suburban on a 6 lug dual axle. 50-55 max but no issues.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PPha6taGnoLN523x7
    Last edited by monoshock; August 30th, 2018 at 08:55 PM.