Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Disc Brake Conversions

Thanks a lot. That was very interesting. I bookmarked Oilcan's post. I will definitely be getting back to it this winter when I revisit my brake situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    I'm not trying to start an argument I'm trying to learn. How does a hydo boost increase the pressure in the brake line? My master cylinder still functions the same way while it is bolted to the hydro booster as it would if it were bolted to the firewall. By my thinking the only thing the booster is doing is multiplying the torque I apply to the brake pedal and transferring that to the master cylinder. The master cylinder is pushing the fluid to the brake cylinders in both cases. The only thing I can think of is maybe I can't physically push the pedal hard enough by human strength to create the same pressure?

The modifications I did are mods that are documented here on the zone.

Ford cylinder swap here:
    Wheel Cylinder Conversion

Chevy shoes mod here:
    Wheel Cylinder Conversion
    I'm not very computer savy, so tomorrow I'll have my son show me how to cut and paste an item from my favorites so I can share it with you.

[QUOTE=jeeper;259289]I'm not trying to start an argument I'm trying to learn. How does a hydo boost increase the pressure in the brake line? My master cylinder still functions the same way while it is bolted to the hydro booster as it would if it were bolted to the firewall. By my thinking the only thing the booster is doing is multiplying the torque I apply to the brake pedal and transferring that to the master cylinder. The master cylinder is pushing the fluid to the brake cylinders in both cases. The only thing I can think of is maybe I can't physically push the pedal hard enough by human strength to create the same pressure?

Basically you're right when you say that you can't push the pedal hard enough. With vacuum assist, depending on how well your engine developes vacuum, it multiplies your foot pressure and it pushes the valve in the master a lot harder which creates more pressure to the brakes without you having to push very hard. With Hydo assist, you're dealing with hydraulic pressure created by the steering pump which is much greater than vacuum pressure. That creates much more pressure to the master which creates that much more line pressure. If you're interested, here are a couple of links that can explain things much more in depth than I ever could.
    http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/oper...ssist-systems/
    Thanks again for the links that you gave me. They will help me out since it looks like I will probably have to stick with the drums.

Quote Originally Posted by bigprojectm715 View Post
    Next time your heading down the road take a look at almost any tractor trailer or dump truck, 100,000 lbs and drum brakes all around
    That's right, but those drum brakes are designed for those vehicles for what they do and the size tires that they run, not to mention, they're air operated, not hydraulic. If they decided to run tires that were twice the normal height and weight, to be able to safely stop, they would need bigger or better brakes. Those trucks also aren't running through two feet of mud and then getting on the highway. The M715 was designed with a 1960's brake system that could safely stop it, but you also have to remember that it ran 35" tires with a very anemic power train that wasn't supposed to be run over 50 or 55 mph. So now you add 42" tires that weigh about twice what the original ones weigh, which puts a whole lot more leverage acting against the brakes, and throw in a power train that puts out three times the power of the original, which allows you to cruise down the highway at 75 mph and your stock brake system is no longer quit adequate. Now to further the problem, you take this truck offroad and racing in mud bogs. The drums fill up with mud and silt. Now you really have an unsafe braking system. Disc brakes are pretty much self cleaning, they don't fade on you after driving through a lot of water, you don't have to adjust them and they have more stopping power than proportionally sized drum brakes. Last but not least, a disc brake set up is much lighter than a drum brake set up which makes for less unsprung weight which, in the offroad world, means fewer broken axle parts while navigating nasty terrain.

I am very interested in some blue prints or plans to convert to disc brakes . I own a Machine shop and I am going to fab a disc brake set up in the future but would make it easier to have some where to start . Grabbing plans from the air is a lot of trial and error and brakes are very important .

Not sure if Ray at uglytruckling is still doing his disc brake conversions or not. I have a couple sets of his kits for the M715 and my Dodge M37. He was pretty good to deal with. I know at one point he was looking to retire and get out of it.