Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy - may be a new M715w/w owner shortly

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New guy - may be a new M715w/w owner shortly

Hi all, I figured this would be the most appropriate place to post an introduction and explanation of the title.

First off, my name is Matt and I am from Richburg, SC. I have been an MVPA member since I bought my first M38a1 back in 1996. I did a body off restoration of that Jeep (finished in 2012 after I started my family) http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com. I bought a second (keeper) M38a1 in January - it is a 1964 USMC (contract) M38a1 http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com which I am in the process of doing a "rolling restoration" on now. I have owned a few other M38a1s in the meantime which I sold. I still own an M101a1, M100 and M100 chassis. My brother and I bought, restored and bobbed an M35a2 a few years back - sold it a couple of months ago (http://duecem35a2.wordpress.com). Some of you might know me on the other forums (Steel Soldiers, Willysmjeeps, G503) as wilfreeman. I attend the Denton, NC Military Vehicle rally (yearly) and the Georgia Steel Soldiers rally (been a couple of years). I also attend a couple of car shows per year with my Jeep. I have won a couple of awards (no trophies though) on the Jeep and we won the "Coolest Ride" trophy on the deuce a few years ago.

Last week I ran across this M715 that hasn't officially come up for sale. I have known the family that owns it for 30yrs. The owner was a WW2 Marine pilot who passed away a few years ago. He also owned a WW2 WC53 which the family donated to a local Transportation Museum. I stopped by on Friday to do a preliminary inspection. I was shocked with the condition - good and bad! I thought it was being stored in a building, but as it turns out, it has been sitting out in the weather for 6-7yrs! Crack (the Marine vet) would be turning over in his grave. With that said, it is not rusted up! The only rust through I found was a 1" hole in the floor at the rear of the driver seat. Doors and rockers, toolbox, bed floor are good. I would say it is 80% complete and original. The tailgate, air cleaner and half of the troop seat and top bow hardware is missing. The front bumper is modified, rear step bumper added (rear crossmember is there and not cut up) - bumperettes missing. Engine is free, but hasn't been started in years. Converted (hacked) to 12v.

I took a bunch of pics, but I couldn't figure out how to create an album and upload them. I posted a request for help over on Steel Soldiers as to what to offer the family for the truck. I posted the pics there and got a few helpful replies, so I have a general idea of what to offer. The plan is to do a "rolling restoration" if I get it since it is in decent condition.
    Matt

Hello and welcome. Sounds as though you have a good background in Military Vehicles. I for one hope you get and restore that M715. We have all kinds of members here, those who do strictly stock (me for one) and those who modify everything. That's what makes the world go round.

Pictures of any of your vehicles would be great!

Welcome, there is a ton of knowledge here on the M715's both for restoration and modification. I saw your post over on Steel Soldiers and it looks like a decent truck to start with. The only really big thing and sometimes hard to find item you have missing is a tailgate. Be prepared to pay big money ($300-$600) for one when you find one. The rest of the stuff is pretty common M-series stuff and is the same as your M38a1 or any other M-series from that time period.

As for posting pics here the easiest way is to host them elsewhere, photobucket use to be the easiest until they went full retard this summer and which is why when you click on a lot of older posts here on the Zone, the pictures no longer show. Imgur seams to be the popular replacement.

I'm more of a restoration guy than a modified guy as I like to keep my military vehicles as close to original as I can. For me it's a way to honor the vehicles heritage. I had mine judged at the MVPA show in 2011 and brought home the gold with it. This past year I had both my M715 and M725 at the MVPA show in Cleveland, but didn't bother to enter them for judging.

Plus if you need help with markings, I got my start with markings for the M715 many years ago, and I know you used my markings on your M38a1.
    http://www.deltateamdecals.com
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

I post pix off my phone with the Tapatalk app, done it for years after my photo hosting site decided to be cute & change their layout and procedures up entirely.

I have very little patience with computers/software/etc.

If you have an iPhone, I'm pretty sure you can post your camera pix off the cloud through your iPhone. Quick & easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Welcome, there is a ton of knowledge here on the M715's both for restoration and modification. I saw your post over on Steel Soldiers and it looks like a decent truck to start with. The only really big thing and sometimes hard to find item you have missing is a tailgate. Be prepared to pay big money ($300-$600) for one when you find one. The rest of the stuff is pretty common M-series stuff and is the same as your M38a1 or any other M-series from that time period.

As for posting pics here the easiest way is to host them elsewhere, photobucket use to be the easiest until they went full retard this summer and which is why when you click on a lot of older posts here on the Zone, the pictures no longer show. Imgur seams to be the popular replacement.

I'm more of a restoration guy than a modified guy as I like to keep my military vehicles as close to original as I can. For me it's a way to honor the vehicles heritage. I had mine judged at the MVPA show in 2011 and brought home the gold with it. This past year I had both my M715 and M725 at the MVPA show in Cleveland, but didn't bother to enter them for judging.

Plus if you need help with markings, I got my start with markings for the M715 many years ago, and I know you used my markings on your M38a1.
    http://www.deltateamdecals.com
    Man, you have some nice trucks there! I know you're proud of them. I am a restore guy too - the only things I modify are things that will make them safer or more reliable (turn signals, seat belts, solid state regulator, ignition, etc)

Yep, I used your stencils on my a1 - thanks for providing an excellent product for an excellent price. My wife bought a cutter and wants to try her hand at cutting the next ones for me though - she mainly cuts window stickers now. I'll prob still buy the larger stuff from you as I need it though.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Hello and welcome. Sounds as though you have a good background in Military Vehicles. I for one hope you get and restore that M715. We have all kinds of members here, those who do strictly stock (me for one) and those who modify everything. That's what makes the world go round.

Pictures of any of your vehicles would be great!
    Yeah, I love my Jeeps! I have always liked the 715s and was hoping to get this one. I can buy a piece of junk cheap, but would like to start with something decent like this. I haven't had a chance to talk to the guy yet (been working), but someone else told me that he put a FS sign up in his store with a $9,000 obo price on it this week! I'll have to have a talk with him about that - that is a restored price and I would be embarrassed to even try to help him sell it for that. Here's a pic of my restored a1 without top, USMC a1 I'm working on, and bobbed deuce we just sold, and a pic of the 715. I have more of the 715 of you want to see them.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by wilfreeman View Post
    Yeah, I love my Jeeps!

If you are interested in this M715, It appears to be in original condition. I realize the bumpers have been turned back. But you could straighten and repair them with a little welding and Bondo. Finding good bumpers is often a difficult chore. I think that VPW was reproducing them at one time and I suspect that the ones that I have on my truck are reproductions.

Having a winch and all of the attachment hardware, drive shafts etc. is a plus.

Nice pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    If you are interested in this M715, It appears to be in original condition. I realize the bumpers have been turned back. But you could straighten and repair them with a little welding and Bondo. Finding good bumpers is often a difficult chore. I think that VPW was reproducing them at one time and I suspect that the ones that I have on my truck are reproductions.

Having a winch and all of the attachment hardware, drive shafts etc. is a plus.

Nice pictures.
    Yep, it would definitely be a good starting point! I haven't talked to him yet, but if he put a $9k price on the FS ad in the store, I doubt he will drop to the point that I could buy it. I'm still going to try though!

Matt

Default project 715 candidate

Looks like a PVC pipe filler modification back there?

Posting through tapatalk was really easy!

Matt