Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Project Rhino 5/4

Default Rhino 5/4 5/25

Added steps and shackle mounts last night. started packing the truck for the weekend. Lots of room to pack our gear.

Project Rhino 5/4

Default Rhino 5/4 6/1

First trip with the boys went well I think and the rain, flies and skeeters didn't seem to bother them too much. RV served us well with lots of projects to complete before we go again. A small generator and AC will probably be on the list pretty soon.

Project Rhino 5/4

Thanks for posting your hard work and photos! I'm super jealous.. A M725 for a hunting camping rig is my dream... we share some similar ideas. I almost have enough New Old Stock parts to build a brand new Mercedes OM617 that I plan on using to put in one of these. Lucked out and got a NOS block to boot..

I would also like to mount a pinzgauer oil heater in it. Where did you get your M725... Love the build, thanks for continuing to post!

KnightOwl

Default Rhino 5/4 6-14

Had to get some electricity to my shop to run my welder so have not done a lot the past week. Did get started on the front bumper. Not turning out exactly like I wanted but will work. I think adding a driving light on each side of the fairlead will help. Saw this ol girl on CL. not a M725 but are some classy ladies none the less.

Project Rhino 5/4

Default NightOwl

I found her at a guys lot of old junk cars here in central Texas. I may be looking into diesel in the future depending on what fuel prices do. I will be looking at fuel heater for the back when winter starts getting closer trying to figure out the AC now. I think i can get a small window unit and hide it behind the tool box door I added on the driver side. I have a donor truck that I may be looking at getting rid of in the near future. Has a good frame and box is actually better than the one am rebuilding I think. All the doors were gone and I pulled all the sheet metal off the front because it was better than mine.
    Project Rhino 5/4

Default Rhino 5/4 6-15

Big stuff on the bumper welded up. Be a while working on the little stuff. My buddy finished with the grill and we test fitted last night. I think it looks very good.

Project Rhino 5/4

Default Rhino 5/4 6-30

After a couple of flats I decided to master M725 flat repair. Actually was really easy considering the size of tire to wheel match up. Buffed off wheel and ring, sealed it with rust cure, new flap and tube, flip on to another wheel and stomp down ring. Not sure how easy when it's 20 but hoping to have headlocks by then.
    Went on 350 mile maiden voyage over the weekend. Had to pull over on way home to let case cool but other than that no issues and more confidence in the ol girl. I'll be working on a case oil cooler next. Hoping 456 will eventually remedy the issue. Love my truck.
    Project Rhino 5/4

Very nice build. You scored on the parts body, they don't come up too often.

Default Rhino 5/4 7-8

Installed a drawer and AC in the drivers side hatch. Have a bunch of loose ends to tie up but working and blowing cold air. Can't wait to try her out.

Project Rhino 5/4

Default Awesome!

Wow, what an awesome build. Just went through the whole thread and you’ve had some excellent ideas. I especially love the HMMWV tire carrier sme may have to copy you on that…if I can find one ha! Also the driver side rear storage box is clutch.

I also have a 725 but I got from a fire department and have been in the process of doing a similar build since it’s already gutted in the rear. Thanks so much for posting all the pics and info, it really helps and gets me motivated to finish by this fall.

I’ll send you a PM, cheers!