Thread: Germany: pintle hook

Default Germany: pintle hook

Another question about legal requirements.
    Is there any chance to leave the pintle hook or do I have to remove that item?
    My truck is on its way to get shipped, but seems to have a pintle hook welded into rear bumper.
    German tow-bars have a ball-head, but I don't have any needs to tow sth so far...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The pintle hook on a stock truck actually bolts through the frame, so it can be removed if it isn't frozen in the frame, by removing the nut on the inside and then pulling it straight out.

That is unless its been modified by a previous owner.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten your seat belt pics either...
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by N2S3 View Post
    Another question about legal requirements.
    Is there any chance to leave the pintle hook or do I have to remove that item?
    My truck is on its way to get shipped, but seems to have a pintle hook welded into rear bumper.
    German tow-bars have a ball-head, but I don't have any needs to tow sth so far...
    I can't speak for laws in Germany but I would imagine you should be able to keep it. Many American hitches have a ball-head, too, but generally for lighter-duty towing. Heavy-towing (other than 5th wheel) is exclusively pintle hook. (Do you have tandem tractor trailers anywhere in Germany? In the US the connection between trailers is a pintle. Same with heavy equipment trailers, etc.)

OK, this statement by syzygy shows: You have never been in Europe.
    Here the truck was invented in the 18th century (1896).
    We have all kinds of trailers here, full trailer, semi trailer, center axle trailer etc.. And trailer for very heavy goods up to 250 or more tons weight.....And the tractors for that , too....
    N2S3, with your hook of course you can not pull a trailer with a 50 mm ball coupling device. Even on a US 2" ball the European couplers [B]will not fit[/B]! We are metric over here!
    Your hook may be used for emergency towing. Thats it. For every thing else you need to fix an approved towing bracket with an approved coupling device (according 94/20/EC or ECE-R 55) to your truck.
    Wolf

Thank you Wolf!
    In first sight the pintle hook may remain, nothing to modify there to get a german title.

Germany is not that bad! We make not everything changed just to get it changed. It has just to fit into the legal requirements.
    Wolf