Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May have located NOS Coils

That is a point well taken. One of my biggest fears is having the truck out and running into a problem like a bad coil. I'd like to hear some other stories about people who have left their ignition switches on, and the effects of it, other than two dead batteries. I've decided to print a little note "TURN IGNITION SWITCH OFF!" and put it on the inside of my drivers door, where it's the last thing I see when I exit the truck. I've always been good about turning it off, but now I'm paranoid!
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Private pilots sometimes write little notes and clip them to their shirt, as reminders to close flight plans, etc. You could do the same thing with your note. If you forget to remove the note from your shirt, others will be quick to remind you (kid you).

That's not a bad idea. Go to a show of some sort, and I'm sure someone would say something about a note pinned to my shirt. Nah, I like my idea better. Just have to figure a way to make it look military.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Default Leaving ignition on

That has happened to me too many times First, when I brought it home and was trying to get it running. Usually if I am working on it and cannot get it to run, I forget about the switch. A couple times I stalled it when parking,and forgot the switch. Once I got off work and found it on, someone had played with the switches? The battery disconnect switch I had wasn't rated for 24 volts it arced and melted. Besides, if I forgot to turn it (battery disconnect) on, I would be under the hood wondering why it wouldn't start. It helps to have an electric fuel pump tied into the ignition, you can hear the noise. But then you have to butcher the wiring. I was keeping old coils that worked as spares when cold, but they fail at bad times.
    Feast or famine,

I'll take your advice Blessed M715. I've got a brand new coil, and I'm waiting for alittle warmer weather to install it. After charging my batteries, the truck fired right up and ran at idle for 20 minutes no problem, but was the coil damaged or weakened by the left on ignition is another question. I'll play it safe and put in the new one.

The photos of what I believe a new make

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    You can test the coil with a multi-meter. Jon posted this a while back.
    Finally got it. Was not OEM as shown in the picture. The readings were 5.9 (higher than the suggested) and 13.5K (in the proper range)

Default Coil

Is that ok that it was higher than suggested?