ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Open Discussion for all M715 series trucks

Old July 30th, 2020, 04:56 AM
Private

eightydeuce is a Soldier
Default Inner core support question/opinion

After getting an inner and outer core support in hand I quickly realized that somewhere along the road someone had taken a large piece out of the top of the inner (the outer is in very good condition). Both halves are essentially rust free and a large upgrade to the ones currently on my truck, but I'm not to keen on installing the inner as is.

After being on the "zone" for a few years now I'm always impressed by some of the metal work done by members so I figure I'd ask before I start off in the wrong direction. I'd like to Frankenstein the two inner supports into one and think I only have one option, but I'm unsure of the complexity of it for someone with little body work experience.

Would it be better to separate the spot welds at the arrows all the way across? Or simply remove the entire center section, cut out the corresponding piece from my existing one and weld back together?

My other option doesn't really seem to be an option anymore due to the rust on my existing one. The last pic isn't the best but I don't think I have metal to weld onto if I cut off the small piece spot welded into the wheel well.

All opinions and advice are welcome. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg core support (1) square.jpg (113.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg core support (7).jpg (61.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg core with arrows.jpg (173.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg core support (8).jpg (43.2 KB, 19 views)
Old July 31st, 2020, 05:05 AM
Private 1st Class

teking is a Soldier

I can tell you what I did to my cab. I had rust eating up the front lower left from a mouse nest in the cab ventilation drain. Basically that drain box was gone and had eaten out the kick panel on the left side of the drivers feet. The white you see in the rust picture is an aluminum plate I had put on the inside to keep rain out ..LOL

I found another M715 in a field that was basically a parts truck. I had the whole corner section of the cab torched off. 1/3 way across from the top down to the bottom then across the front of the floor pan. took it home on a trailer and had the box cut out of my cab. Had it the replacement welded in place, ground the welds down. A little body epoxy and my cab looks better than new. Zero rust!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck rust 1.JPG (123.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg repaired cab.JPG (124.5 KB, 18 views)
Old August 1st, 2020, 08:53 AM
Private

eightydeuce is a Soldier

Iíll never be confused with being gentle but alas it is separated without destroying it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D9156F77-C140-4BEF-A85C-1BAE48AB7F2A.jpg (297.7 KB, 14 views)
Old August 1st, 2020, 11:01 AM
Private

m38inmaine is a Soldier

Do you need any core parts or are you all set ? I have a spare but not sure if the part you might need is good on the one I have.
Old August 1st, 2020, 05:59 PM
Private

eightydeuce is a Soldier

I am all set now. Your offer is very much appreciated though. Thank you