Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric fuel pump

Default Electric fuel pump

Has anyone installed an electric fuel pump on their stock 230. I'm not positive, but my truck seems to be starving for gas on initial start-up. Once running, she runs perfectly. Can a electric pump be installed just for priming the stock pump? What would be the proper installation if so. I've seen some advertised on the internet that say they can be used along with your stock Tornado pump. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I have a 24 volt electric pump along with the stock fuel pump still hooked up. The electric pump is installed near the fuel tank as it is easier to push fuel than pull. It seems to work well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by englishmauser View Post
    I have a 24 volt electric pump along with the stock fuel pump still hooked up. The electric pump is installed near the fuel tank as it is easier to push fuel than pull. It seems to work well for me.
    Thank you. That is good information. I'll gather as much info as I can and then put it to use this winter. Do you remember where you purchased your pump from? Does it operate full time, or just to get fuel to the stock pump? I see the pumps for sale online and the prices aren't to bad. Do you know the correct psi? I believe it's about 3 and 1/2 psi. Did you put in a seperate switch just for the pump? Sorry for all the questions, but I like to get my facts straight before I start a project. Thanks again.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Mine is wired to go on when the key is turned on. I got mine off ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-volt-FUEL...cfcb4e&vxp=mtr

The electric fuel pump should be as close to the tank as possible. If you only want it for starting I'd suggest just adding a push button switch to activate the pump manually before you start your truck.

If you want it to run while the engine is running I'd suggest using an oil pressure switch to control the pump. It is a safety concern to me to have a fuel pump running when the engine isn't. Just because the ignition switch is on doesn't mean you want the fuel pump running. An example would be in the event of an accident and the engine dies. The oil pressure switch only allows the fuel pump to run if the engine is running.

I have mine set up this way and I also have the push button so I can prime the carb before I try to start it. The push button is just wired in parallel to the oil pressure switch. The oil pressure switch is in series with the positive wire feeding the pump.

I run a 24volt electric pump only I made my own fuel pump block off plate and the motor is much happier with consistent fuel pressure.

Same pump englishmauser runs

my forest service truck has one. push , pull button on the dash, turn main power on the pull my switch it'll run till it pressures up then it will stop, hit the starter buttton and she fires up every time. oh and they mounted it right behind the cab fuel tank side.

I have one at the tank with a switch on the dash. I only use it to start and it does the job.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Y'all have never had a problem with the stock sucking through the electric?