Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alosix : Tieing these things down on a trailer

Default alosix : Tieing these things down on a trailer

Tieing these things down on a trailer
    Post by alosix on Aug 2, 2006, 7:15am

Looks like I might get to pickup the M725 this weekend

Any tips on tying them down to a trailer. Not sure if this one has the front bumper installed if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
    Jason

Default elwenil :

Re: Tieing these things down on a trailer
    Post by elwenil on Aug 2, 2006, 7:27am

Personally, unless it it is something really lifted or with crazy soft suspension, I tie everything down by the axles. It's probably the most secure way of tying one down since you don't have to worry about secure tie down points. Plus with the vehicle riding on it's own suspension it can make for a smoother ride. You do have to consider the effect of the vehicle leaning in turns because it is on it's own suspension, but with most vehicles it's not an issue.

Default alosix :

Post by alosix on Aug 2, 2006, 7:35am

Bone stock M725..

Axles can work. Axles straps are pretty easy to come by around here.

Jason

Default wrecker :

Post by wrecker on Aug 2, 2006, 8:47am

wrapping a chain from front corner of trailer areound axle then to other front and the secure with a load binder. Same with the rear tied to the back corners. No need to over tighten one end until both are relatively snug. Then you can finish taking single link "bites" until the binder is really tight. Secure the handles to the chain in the locked position to prevent any road bumps to cause the binder to pop loose. Watch out for any components such as brake lines, etc. that the chain will damage when tightened with the binder.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Aug 2, 2006, 10:30am

Exactly what wrecker wrote. On the front axle, the brakes lines are out of the way. On the rear, the lines are in the way, so I run the chain over the differential (over the forward side of it--chain comes from the corner of the trailer, under the axle tube, over the differential, then back under the other side of the axle tube and to the other corner of the trailer. Make sure you have the chain over the differential housing and not the pinion.)

If you don't have binders yet, I would recommend at least one of them be a ratcheting binder. You could bind the front, then ratchet the rear (or vice-versa). I ratchet both, just 'cause that's the type of binder I have.

If the truck body is really springy after securing the axles, I put a ratchet strap over the bumper, or some part of the body or frame, and secure it to the trailer to help reduce body sway.

Oh, and congratulations on your new rig!!!

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Aug 2, 2006, 10:55am

Also, stop after the first 15-20 miles to check your tie-downs.

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Aug 2, 2006, 3:40pm

I drove from Utah to Alabama with chains/binders only. I ran the chains through the shackles and tightened them down. I had 4 binders, so I had one on either side of each chain. The truck stayed put and I didn't have any problems what-so-ever. Even got pulled over @ a vehicle inspection roadblock on I-70. The Kansas State Troopers had no problems with it.

After they pointed out a burned out side marker light, told me that my tags were OK, the GVW was acceptable, and my paperwork was in order - they spent 15 minutes looking at and questioning me (in a good way) about the 715.

AMEN on checking the tie downs!!! A little ways down the road and every time you stop!!

Default robertcowan :

Post by robertcowan on Aug 2, 2006, 8:13pm

PUT 2 chains in the front, 1 from front axle side to opposite side of trailer pulling backwards then do opposite side in reverse, put 2 chains in the rear pulling forward in same x manner. this keeps truck from going to the front or to the rear and no shifting from side to side if you get in a ditch or something. also if you want to be extra sure go over the top of the frame from side to side just behind the cab under the bed by the tool box and pull it down with all you got. watch those lever binders they,ll kill you. also chains are far better than straps but both will work. straps are bad to cut so watch the sharp edges.
    bob
    bob

Default snuffy :

Post by snuffy on Aug 2, 2006, 8:30pm

DANG BOB! THAT"S A LOT OF CHAIN!

I DID NOT MENTION THAT I HAD THE FRONT CHAIN FORWARD OF THE SHACKLES AND THE REAR CHAIN BEHIND THE REAR SHACKLES. THERE WAS ENOUGH TENSION THAT THE TRUCK WASN'T GOING ANYWHERE. I GAVE IT THE OLD LUGGAGE TEST WHEN THEY SHUT THE INTERSTATE DOWN IN GRAND JUNCTION.

BOBS RIGHT ABOUT THE LEVER BINDERS... A BUDDY HAD AN ARM BROKEN BY ONE A FEW YEARS AGO. USE THE SCEW BINDERS IF YOU CAN!

Default kwai :

Post by kwai on Aug 2, 2006, 9:18pm

I use 4 chains and binders like Bob said. The trucks weigh 6000lb. I don't want it anywhere but on the trailer. Certainly not in the back of my cab.