Thread: 503m715 : soft top in newer fabric?

Default 503m715 : soft top in newer fabric?

soft top in newer fabric?
    Post by 503m715 on Jul 21, 2006, 12:13am

I know it is prob. listed somewhere, but does any one make them in newer type materials.

Default tacomainoh :

Re: soft top in newer fabric?
    Post by tacomainoh on Jul 21, 2006, 2:18am

as far as I remember that's a custom job, but doable at most boat/awning/convertible top places. There are like 7 or 8 places in Salt Lake that do that kind of thing, I"m in luck!

no idea on cost though.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on Jul 21, 2006, 7:11am

When I was checking my options out on tops I was told by Beachwood Canvas that he could make one out of just about anything if you were willing to pay for it. I made the comment about a more modern material such as what the new HMMWV tops are made of and he told me her could do it, but it would be very expensive. I went cheap and got one in OD green vinyl since the top design itself isn't exactly water and wind proof and the material isn't quite so important when there are drafts blowing up from under it in various places.

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on Jul 21, 2006, 7:34am

I think many of the canvas shops that do M715 tops can also do one out of the OD Vinyl that is now what 30 year old....

The vinyl that is used for the new tops like on Hummers is supose to be stronger than the original, hold its color better and lighter. You know an upgrade...

Default boghog :

Post by boghog on Jul 21, 2006, 8:10am

New Life Resource, talk to Judith. Great to deal with they have many diff. type of materails, I think they even offer a top that rolls up in the back full width like the m 37, so I have been told. Good luck.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jul 21, 2006, 8:28am

Weebee Webbing sent me a sample of the green vinyl they can make the top out of. Even cheaper than the canvas. But they said it expands/contracts a great deal with temperature change and assured me that I wouldn't be happy with it. The sample looks great though. Some members have the vinyl. They'll likely chime in with actual experience.

Default over2land :

Post by over2land on Jul 21, 2006, 6:38pm

I had specifically asked Judith at New life if I got some sailcloth top like was on a newer Jeep and sent it to her, if she could make me a top out of it. She could, and it wasn't going to be anymore expensive than the top I was planning on ordering (at least on her end). I would still have to pay for materials (the sailcloth fabric) but she had no problems.

Conversely, I also talked to Beachwood, as I really like going there and usually end up buying something while I visit... they've got all kinds of cool Jeeps in the shop for test fitting of tops... anyway, it was going to be about double the normal cost of a top from them, plus my outlay for the sailcloth...

In the end, I ended up with a New Life top out of the normal canvas with the zippable rear window, due to time constraints... If I had it to do again, I'd go the same way.

Unless you are going to mod how the top attaches to the truck at the windows and rear of the cab, I can't really see why you'd want a modern matierial for the same crappy attachments of snaps and straps.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on Jul 22, 2006, 1:03am

Might be the climate! I don't know how happy the canvas would be parked in 9 months of rain. I intend to park mine under cover, but until I build a garage/shop, it will be pretty damp anyway in the winters.

Check out all the moss on the M37 and you'll get the idea!

Default 503m715 :

Post by 503m715 on Jul 22, 2006, 1:42am

The rain (or Oregon sunshine) is the reason I was thinking of using newer type of fabric. My family use military trucks on their farm and most have been converted to hardtop because the canvas tops don't last very long. That is why I was thinking of a different type of material for a top.
    I have Tims old hard top, but it dose not fit on my truck very well or I would just use it. I think I should try to find a factory Arctic top in good shape. I could use it when weather is bad and go topless when weather is good.
    If anyone near Oregon has an Arctic top they want to sell, I would be interested.