Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: binfordm715 : HELP!!! I'm in turn signal hell

Default binfordm715 :

Re: HELP!!! I'm in turn signal hell
    Post by binfordm715 on May 3, 2006, 7:40pm

Stock horn still works (most of the time, anyway!) and there's a Packard-capped hot wire #85 under the dash too. After reading your mention of it, I thought maybe they'd cut it behind the firewall leaving the under-dash part dead. But it tested hot. Hmmmm.....

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 3, 2006, 9:56pm

If there isnt a wire straight off the bttery, or a non stock wire off the battery side of the foot starter switch, it has to be in this wire somewhere that it is spliced from as this is all that is live BEFORE the on/off switch is switched on:

Maybe they soliced into one of those wires, the horn or #85, and made a "Y" at that point...so the original is still working and the other is there too...maybe....

Maybe they tpped the wires that run to the on/off switch, the 2 #11 wires...

If it were me, cause I am tht way, I would look for it...

As long as it is taped off and secured, its ok though of course...

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 3, 2006, 11:19pm

Maybe someday..... But it's all secure and happy now. I suspect one of these days I'll be tearing deeply into the truck and I'll see about dealing with it then.

Took Nick to his Cub Scout meeting in the M715 tonight. Only two other Scouts at the meeting. Pretty lame pack, actually! We were talking about projects the boys could do. I suggested I could bring a box of 220 grit sandpaper and let the boys go at the M715! Heh, heh, heh.... J/k though.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 4, 2006, 8:20am

Funny...thats one way to get de-yellowed!!

Default thetroublemaster :

Post by thetroublemaster on May 4, 2006, 8:33am

Tim, If you have to press hard on the pedal to activate the pressure switch that means its going bad. I have to replace them on my CJ pretty frequently. It should only take light pressure to close the contacts. Before you install it turn the switch upside down and fill it with brake fluid first. If you have not done all that already.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 4, 2006, 8:38am

The specs on the switches list 60-120 psi as the activation level...even the stock brake system has many many times that pressure....

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on May 9, 2006, 8:34am

Just out of curiosity, what does the whole Solid State turn signal set up run these days? I know Jon posted that it was about $100 from Star Electric in the tutorial, but I assume that was when the page was put up. Saturn has this stuff for about $150, but if I can save $50 I will, but if not I'll order from Saturn along with a few other items I need.

I tried calling Star, but all I get is an answering machine.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 9, 2006, 2:45pm

Including shipping, it was $150 to my door, which included the turn signal switch, the harness with all female Packard connectors and identified wires, and the brain box. That was from Star Electric.

Kevin (at Star) might be traveling. He gave me his cell number, but I don't have it with me. Be patient with him! I had to be. But he came through in the end.

Default elwenil :

Post by elwenil on May 9, 2006, 3:53pm

Oh well, I already ordered it all from Saturn along with the other crap I needed. Along with almost $300 in Autometers from Summit. This d**n truck had better be worth it, lol...

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on May 10, 2006, 6:34am

I know Kevin from Star. We use to hang out together at one of the MV show that use to be here in Ohio. I knew him before he became Star Electirc. He's a good guy and a straight shooter. He's a retired Army officer and he might be out on the road traviln to MV shows I know he does alot of them.