Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: binfordm715 : HELP!!! I'm in turn signal hell

Default brute4c :

Re: HELP!!! I'm in turn signal hell
    Post by brute4c on May 1, 2006, 3:57pm

Heres another from a place in MO. thats just under $7....
    http://haywireinc.com/Merchant2/merchant....ategory_Code=BS

Note it says Ford type??

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 1, 2006, 4:02pm

FINALLY!!!!

Found a Ford street rod site that had a part number for it and tried that at Napas site and POOF!!

http://napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMas....oplight+Swit ch

Heres the details:

Item#: ECHSL134

Price: $8.49
    tax and shipping not included

Disclaimer: The stated price may vary from the in store price and may change at anytime.

Usually ships in 24 hours.

Attributes:
    # of Terminals:2 Terminals
    Features & Benefits:Hydraulic heavy duty
    push-on terminal
    closes at 60-120 PSI
    Thread Size:1/8" x 27 thread
    Type of Packaging:Box

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 1, 2006, 4:30pm

While you were busy doing MY stop switch research, I went back out and took a closer look at the wiring. I hadn't noticed before, but I found a cut wire poking out of the harness about where the other TS wires come out. No marking on it, but the test-light shows it's hot only when the top lever is clicked over to the right. So I think I've found our long lost friend, the J-pin wire!

Okay, okay.... I'll confirm it before I hook up to it. Sheesh....

Also, regarding the stop switch, I got it working!!! I did it by resorting to Plan B, the use of a 5/8" wrench. (I used the wrench to give it a few gentle-to-moderate thwacks.) The Tool Man does it again!

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 1, 2006, 5:03pm

I found a page out there that shows whats in such a switch...might be a little different on ours but close I would think....specifically, this is a pressure switch like ours that is being used to kick the cruise off...instead of lighting the lights...

http://www.antony-anderson.com/Cruis...on_Switch.html

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 1, 2006, 5:05pm

Looks like you can order the switches from the link below for just under $3!!!

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UI....ic&keyword=AFSP

Default k8icu :

Post by k8icu on May 1, 2006, 9:18pm

Sounds like the forest service didn't want to have someone driving with out break lights cause the were to stupid to flip the switch. So they made the brake circuit always hot like a civilian truck. Get in and drive you have break lights....instead of get in turn to service break light and then drive.

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 1, 2006, 11:21pm

Nope. The brake lights were always on the switch! It was the turn signal that was always hot! Go figure....

Nice brake pressure switch tech there, Jon. You see, by gently striking the switch at the 7 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions with the 5/8" wrench (though 9/16" might work in a pinch), what you're doing is allowing the elastomer ring to free up from the steel annulus with that pesky Kapton square.

That brake switch doesn't light up until I'm pushing the brake pedal pretty hard. As I mentioned earlier, I'm one of the lucky ones (the only lucky one, perhaps?) with really good stock brakes, so I usually don't have to push too hard on them to get slowed down. I'll have to keep an eye on that. It will probably self-correct as the shoes wear though.

Didn't get time to confirm that wire was to the J-pin. I wanted to pick Nick up from school in the M715, which I did. Then we got gas and drove it to Ace Hardware to get a stainless bolt, nuts and washers to replace the rusted/gummed-up adjusting screw on the parking brake.

Despite having had this truck for over a year, this was only the 2nd time I'd had it out on the road. What a hoot.

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 2, 2006, 8:59am

Nice to hear its getting a few miles on...hopefully the worst of the wiring problems are over!!
    If ya need more though....you know where I am!

Default binfordm715 :

Post by binfordm715 on May 2, 2006, 11:35pm

The denouement.....

I went from this:

To this:

As it turns out, I only needed one of the Packard connectors. That was for the J-pin switched power source I call out in the second picture. You can see the cut B/O driving light wire in the first picture. Just cut and left as is. I just taped it up since I'll be splicing more wire to it shortly when I get the light set up.

The old always-hot power source (running through the in-line fuse in the first pic) is now snipped and taped off. Still don't know what that's from. I'll read over what you wrote earlier in this thread, Brute, then ponder that one. It comes right out of the main harness. Go figure....

All splices I made were heat-shrinked, then taped up. The B/O driving light wire will be too, soon. That just leaves that always-hot wire that I'll figure out and deal with. Otherwise, it's set! Turn signals now work only on switched power. I confirmed that stub was indeed the wire to the J-pin, so done deal!

Thanks again for all the help. I'm now in turn signal heaven!

Default brute4c :

Post by brute4c on May 3, 2006, 8:38am

That looks much better!! Now if/when you have a problem, its factory wiring and much easier to diagnose from a distance...very nice!!

Since that hot wire is in the harness....I have to wonder, do you have the stock horn wired up? If not, it could be the wire to run to it...and that does run through the harness in that area...

My other choice would be, as mentioned above, wire #85 which normally runs in the harness and to the cab, up under the dash, in the area of the steering column, usually found on the passenger side of the column, but near it. This is always live on a stock truck and does come from the engine compartment to the cab...maybe it was cut on the engine side of the firewall and re-assigned to the use you found it in...

Guesses of course...