Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldier looking to revive an old M715. Help and interest welcomed!

Default Soldier looking to revive an old M715. Help and interest welcomed!

Ok folks first- thank you for accepting me in this forum. I look forward to getting to know the lot of you!

Now let's present the challenge. If you're anything like me, you'll all love the opportunity to resurrect one of these fantastic trucks especially when there's a good story behind it. So without further ado, the truck:

M715, S/N 31395, delivered 11/1968, factory PTO winch

It has been parked in a rural field on Orcas Island with the head removed, since 1989. It still sits there to this day.

The story:

It was my uncles truck. He was a great man who was frankly a father to me and taught me many things. Sadly a few years ago he tool his life, leaving three high-school aged kids. The kids and I all have memories of playing around in that old jeep. So I presented the idea of bringing it back to life to serve as a sort of memorial for their pops, and everyone is pumped and have given me the green light.

So, why am I wasting your time with this? Well, it's a big undertaking and I'm going to need all the help I can get. Im.an active duty Green Beret so this is all being done between deployments. The truck has sat for decades so many spares will be needed I'm sure. For this reason any leads on a parts truck in the Pacific Northwest would be very useful. I will be moving back to Fort Bragg NC soon too so parts or trucks in this area are also welcome. I'm mostly decided on a Novak 350 swap rather than putting the same time and money into the old tornado. I have a running 350 set aside for it at my house in Montana. But I still need to source a clutch and bellowing to satisfy the needs of Novaks conversion. I'd like to do a Cummins swap but can't in one near by for a reasonable price.

So there ya go folks. Mull it over. Let me know anything you can do to help, or just chime in with advice or criticisms. I'm coming home on leave in December and plan to run out to the island around the 13th or so. The initial plan is to get it unearthed and rolling, then moved about 20 minutes to my aunts new house where I will have a garage to pull the old motor, muck out the cab, and see how much rot I'm facing etc. Basically just get it out of the weather and do a battle damage assessment.

Cheers, look forward to hearing from you all.

Cameron-

Welcome to the Zone and thank you for your service!

Sounds like a great idea and plan. If you are just looking for a running truck that functions every now and then with no specific performance goals. Doing it all stock might be cheaper, easier and worth more as a driver than any other route. People give away stock running 230 engines all the time. You are not on a time schedule so spend a few months looking for an engine is my thought.

I have driven mine daily with the stock engine, a 396 Big Block and the last 8 years a 6.2 diesel HMMWV pull out engine. Off highway and below 45 mph on highway they are all about the same. The stock truck is amazingly well designed to go anywhere off road and up to convoy speed on road. If that is all you want, put it back together as it was made.

Either way you go there is a huge number of write ups here on the Zone showing combinations you would never think of. Enjoy the journey.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rather than keep the stock tranny/tcase, go with a sm465 with married np205 tcase. They are still pretty common and bulletproof and less expensive than than the novak conversion. And bolt up to the sbc350.

Both comments are good suggestions.
    If you don't need to go fast and go up to super high peaks in Montana, then keeping the 230 tornado may be a good plan. The only engine at treeline in Colorado that didn't bog out at our retreat was Toolman's original 230. Kaiser Jeep really did a great job making a utility truck that could drive from Pike's Peak to sea level. If maintained properly, it really is a gem- it just wouldn't get you there quickly. They can be expensive to rebuild or fix but you're in the right place to get it done correctly.
    If your need for speed is driving faster than 45 for extended periods of time and you're not too concerned about originality, then doing a full engine/driveline swap may be best. To me, if you're getting out of the 230 motor, you might as well update the the whole bottom side with a newer transmission, less heat generating transfer case, less geared axles, updated brakes system, and rims that don't require inner tubes and greater size/price selection.
    Thank you for your service!!- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

If you live in Townsend Montana, I'm not far away in north western Helena. I have a running 230 plus other stuff you are welcome to. 406-475-2027
    Zwickafied

First of all, thank you for your service!

I've purchased parts from this guy a couple times. It's probably worth getting a list together for what you "need" and what you want after you conduct your BDA. Looks like he's only a couple hours away from Bragg. My vote is to put the SBC in. I have a Dodge 318cid, NP435 transmission, and the divorced Dodge NP205. The 205 was a big improvement in noise reduction at 65mph. Did an axle swap too with 4.56 gears.

Watson and Sons' Jeep Salvage at 7100 N Boyd Rd in Pinetown NC
    Call or text 252 944 5526
    Last edited by eightydeuce; November 22nd, 2021 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZwickafiedM715 View Post
    If you live in Townsend Montana, I'm not far away in north western Helena. I have a running 230 plus other stuff you are welcome to. 406-475-2027
    Zwickafied
    Gents, thank you all for the input. I can’t figure out how to post a comment without quoting, sorry Zwickafied. I’m actually pretty surprised to see that generally, you all seem to discourage the 350 swap. I really thought that would have been the unanimous suggestion. More on the engine- If I remember correctly the head was removed and sitting in the bed. Which means after 30+ years it’s safe to say that engine is scrap, or at the very least is beyond a simple surfacing and head gasket procedure. This was the primary motivation to do a swap. If I’m definitely removing the tornado, and the swap components are reasonably priced… it’s mighty tempting to drop in the extra 100hp and have the dime a dozen serviceability of the old 350 too.

But, I sure am not going to turn down a helping hand from a fellow Montanan. Quite kind of you Zwickafied, I’ll PM you about swinging by your camp when I’m home on leave around the 17 or so of December.

With regard to swapping the trans as well, I’m even more surprised to hear this. Going with a married t case means drive shaft mods, crossmember, linkages etc etc. plus extra work if I want to keep the winch. None of which is work I’m not experienced with… But, at least for now when the object is to get it driving again, I think I’ll stay away from updated transmissions. That said, can you guys please elaborate on the t case heat issues? I’ve seen that mentioned here a few times. Is that just a during 4wd issue? Or is it generating heat in all modes? Also is the factory transmission a problem child? I had thought not.. keep up the input men and thank you for your patriotism, I greatly appreciate it.

Cam

Quote Originally Posted by eightydeuce View Post
    First of all, thank you for your service!

I've purchased parts from this guy a couple times. It's probably worth getting a list together for what you "need" and what you want after you conduct your BDA. Looks like he's only a couple hours away from Bragg. My vote is to put the SBC in. I have a Dodge 318cid, NP435 transmission, and the divorced Dodge NP205. The 205 was a big improvement in noise reduction at 65mph. Did an axle swap too with 4.56 gears.

Watson and Sons' Jeep Salvage at 7100 N Boyd Rd in Pinetown NC
    Call or text 252 944 5526
    Eightyduece,

Very helpful sir thank you and I will definitely contact them since I will start spending a lot more time in the area. Yet another vote for a full drive train swap aye.. can you provide any mechanical insight as to why the 205 is better or quieter? I know both are gear driven, and I had thought were somewhat similar in design. I also see several threads on heat issues. Is that as prevalent as I’m lead to think? Lastly, was easy gearing your main motivation for swapping axles or are there weakness I should be aware of with the factory 60s? Thanks again to all of you. Just finished the deployment. Now I wait two weeks in Okinawa before I can take leave and go see what this old M715 has in store for me.

The transfer case gets hot at high speeds (60 mph+). You can move the rear driveshaft from the parking brake to the main shaft output and that helps with the heat problems.

If you aren't going to be doing lots of highway driving, just keep it stock and don't worry about it.

The sbc350 is a great swap. Reliable, with plenty of power and easy maintenance.

The NP200 has straight cut gears and is noisier and runs hotter than the NP205 with helical cut gears.