Thread: never ending M725 project

Default never ending M725 project

After a few years of not much happening 2021 proved to be productive. After a little trial and error I finally got a Cummins 6bt installed. However I keep making my life more difficult by forgetting the KISS rule. Keep it simple Stupid.

Bright idea #1 After reading an article about building a million mile 12 valve Cummins motor I thought it would be a good idea to get the Fleece coolant bypass that mounts to the rear freeze plug location and keep the #6 cylinder cool. It's a great idea and it can add years to the longevity to the cummins motor.
    However if I want to have room for a fan behind the radiator the coolant bypass
    had to go. I made my own bypass that fit better for fraction of what the Fleece cost.

Bright idea #2 In the spirit of up grading I decided that the 2nd gen Dodge OEM
    intercooler was not good enough and sprung for the Mishimoto intercooler instead. I measured the height and width and I knew it wasn't too big... Well as it turns out the Mishimoto is huge and I almost sent it back until I thought about how much more that would cost. So we will see if I will have a 2nd gen Mishimoto intercooler for sale or not.

Bright idea #3 I bet that surburban 42 gallon diesel fuel tank will fit where the spare tire goes, barely.

I got lucky finding the plastic tank cover and tank straps at the local pick n pull.
    The 42gallon gas and diesel tanks are different. The gas tanks take the built in fuel pump sending unit and the diesel does not have a in tank fuel pump. That all for now.
    Last edited by wantapinz2; November 3rd, 2021 at 01:01 PM. Reason: photos not posting

Wow good to see you still plugging away at this. I ended up with panther's M725, went back east and drug it home to north ID the week of Labor Day 2020. I got it for free but a year and a half of storage fees and the trip to get it wasn't but I still tell my wife it was free, she just shakes her head. I also moved from Humboldt County CA to north ID 10 years ago.

Yes,good to see someone else working on the M725. I'm fixing to start replacing axles here shortly then tyranny and case. PO had put in a SBC and it runs good so think ill stick with that for now. I added a rear tank as well. I just pump from back to front as needed. Simple but works.
    Project Rhino 5/4

I remember being excited to find Panther’s M725 Cummins build on YouTube doing the same thing I was,but further along. I was truly bummed out when he abandoned the project. I’m glad it didn’t end up in a scrap yard or parted out. I hope to see it finished some day.