Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elusive Exhaust System Parts

Default Elusive Exhaust System Parts

I found out that Memphis Equipment has new manufactured mufflers an tailpipes (not the 10" tailpipe extension) for our M715 trucks. Not NOS, but nonetheless something that will complete the exhaust... Almost. They do have the crescent bracket that is in front of and in back the muffler. New manufacture. They don't have the bracket that is at the connection of the first and second pipe. They also don't have the cable hanger. Does anyone have measurements so that I could fabricate one?

That brings me to another question. Does anyone know the length of the cable hanger? I am sure I could manufacture something for my truck that will work but I need a length. If anyone has a NOS one and is willing to post some measurements, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    Don

Have you tried ABLinn? I am pretty sure I saw a box or case of those cable hangers the last time I was there. Both times I have been there, Kwai always loaded up other exhaust parts as well. I didn't need them, so I never paid attention to what parts exactly he got from those trips.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default VPW Has them

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    They also don't have the cable hanger. Does anyone have measurements so that I could fabricate one?Don
    VPW has the entire hanger kit. All the cables and brackets are in there.

At least a few months ago they did.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Thanks guys. I ordered a reproduction muffler and tail pipe from Memphis Equipment. Now, I need the bracket, #21 in the illustration and the cable hangers #6. I will call both vendors tomorrow.

I will report back so that others will know as well.

Don

Default Muffler hangers

Are you trying to go "stock" or "factory original"? I posted back around December how I rebuilt my exhaust. I used military exhaust pipes, cut-off the muffler mounting plates, and I used a round muffler and "universal" hangers screwed to the frame from Advance Auto Parts.

good luck!
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

I am using what will look like factory original. Memphis says that their pipes are modeled after the original. Today, I a heading out of town and have the phone number of Vintage Power Wagons. I am going to order the hanger stuff.

Thanks again,
    Don

That brings me to another question. Does anyone know the length of the cable hanger? I am sure I could manufacture something for my truck that will work but I need a length. If anyone has a NOS one and is willing to post some measurements, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    Don

Here is a stock cable hanger

I don't know if you have the c-brackets that attach the cable hanger to the exhaust pipe flange. I was unable to find those anywhere and had to make my own. If you need a template let me know. It is just a flat piece of metal 16 GA I believe with three holes cut in it and shaped to go around the exhaust pipe.

Tom
    M715
    M725
    48 Willys PU
    49 Willys Jeepster
    59 Willys Wagon
    76 Cherokee Chief
    97 Jeep GC
    02 Jeep TJ
    It's a Jeep Thing!

Thanks Tom, that is exactly what I need. As for the two pieces of steel that this hanger attaches to at the muffler, yes, they did come with the parts from Vintage Power Wagons. I was very pleased. Later today, I will take a picture of the parts that I got for all to see.

So, now I can fabricate the cable hanger and that will be all of the pieces. The muffler and tail pipe came from Memphis and they do have thick flanges on them. As one person mentioned to me, "You got into this hobby a few years too late. Much of these parts were available 6 to 10 years ago."

Thanks for all of the help gents!

Here are the hangers that I got from Vintage Power Wagons:

They do include the two brackets; one goes in front and one goes in back of the muffler. Not included is the clamp wraps around the tail pipe. It is shown in the illustrations but is not noted. A piece of strap steel should do the trick.

And the Muffler from Memphis Equipment:

I also got a fan shroud and tail pipe from Memphis.

Here are the hangers that I got from Vintage Power Wagons:
    When I got my kit the hanger cables were included, not those two half moon brackets. Never saw those.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era