Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving/Re attaching rear arched Cross member

Default Moving/Re attaching rear arched Cross member

To get the fuel tank that we're using in place the arched cross member that's in front of the stock gas tank needs to go forward 5-6" (basically to where the frame starts necking down).

Almost of all of the rivets out. I'm trying to decide weather to bolt it in place, or weld it in place. These trucks look to be built before there was widespread use of wire feeders in heavy truck production lines, only really a few welds on the frame.

Only real issue with bolting it is that its a 725, not a 715. Can't really easily remove the bed and the toolbox will likely be in the way for access to one side of the frame.

Thoughts?

Jason

We need pics! I'd say bolt it.

Default Progress pic

gimpy asked for a pic. So here is one Don't have any of the gas tank area though

Coil sprung huh? Is that a done project? I didn't see a mount on the passenger side. Going to Aberdeen?

Yep, going to Aberdeen. Not with the Truck though.

Coil buckets are done. In the pic its sitting on them. Just need to finish the upper control arm and panhard mounts. Just got the control arms from the machinist yesterday. Will prob get that finished up this weekend.

Still got a bunch of work to do on the truck, but its getting there.

Jason

Keep an eye out for an M109a3 and a deuce "tipper" next to eachother in the yellow area. That'll be me(chris) and Jeff. No I don't know the specific spot.

Ok, so

We've got gimpy rob with one vote to bolt it in.

And we've got me just wanting to run a few beads and be done with it.

Any other takers?

jason

Zip ties, baling wire, or duct tape. Seriously, I'd just run the few beads, pain in the arse to drill and bolt.

I am not opposed to bonding, you just asked which I thought would be better.

Bolted will allow more flex and give when the frame twists. They are riveted for a good reason.