Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey, Lets talk BRAKES some more!!!!

This has been argued out before and I do not want to start another arguement here. Just posting facts and other peoples experiences.

Not all "Corvette" master cylinders are the same. I have seen at least 4 different versions of the supposed same part number. Unless all of us have the exact same part installed, we are really just comparing apples to oranges when we talk about our driving experiences.

Lets do one of those hierarchy of needs type list here. You want the brakes to:

Stop the truck

Have firm pedal every time

Not leak

Those are the basics we all require and need. All of the above mentioned experiences handle that.

Then we get into the "want" area. This can vary so much between the same persons different vehicles, that comparing different people, vehicles and parts is what leads to a lot of the understandings. You might "Want":

Locking up of all tires at any speed with a toe twitch

All tires braking evenly at all times and under all loads

Brakes that work after going through a puddle or mud.

Disc brakes front drum rear.

The list goes on and on. I am very happy with my brakes on my truck. I adjust the pads at least once a month because I use it as a teaching tool for my students. Therefore, I know by pedal feel how much brake I have left. I want the booster though because stopping with a foot push in traffic with a trailer attached is a lot better than stopping with a full leg push every intersection.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Just for comparison here, I have stock brakes and have no trouble at all stopping. I can even lock 'em up, and that's with XLs.

It is easier stopping my M715 than my manual-braked Suburban, by far.
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Just for comparison here, I have stock brakes and have no trouble at all stopping. I can even lock 'em up, and that's with XLs.

It is easier stopping my M715 than my manual-braked Suburban, by far.
    When I had the stock brakes on my truck, I could lock up all 4 in a panic stop. I just wanted POWER brakes. And of course, that ended up leading to disc brakes in the front. <g>

I used the FSJ and power booster with disc front and rear. Truck stops great with no load on it. I have not pulled anything with it as I am still battling header leakage and not driving it. I posted some pictures up of the fitment in a post a couple weeks back..

J20 Power brake booster and MC

I am reading through these older threads looking for info on using a corvette m/c, Barrman list the manual napa# as 10-1371 but napa online list this as a power m/c, the manual as ss 4739018, it ha a 1/8" larger bore, what shold I use, Thanks for all the grear info!

The bigger the bore, the more fluid it will push. But, more pedal effort is required. Smaller bore will feel like power brakes compared to my big bore mc.

I bought mine 3 years ago and that was the number on the ticket. I have seen about 4 different looking versions of the "Vette MC." I really don't know which one is the proper one anymore. I do know that mine has the double cap tie downs that run side to side compared to the single tie down wire that runs front to back on the mc. Corvettes had the one that looks like mine, so I will call mine the proper one.

Pretty much look at it this way. All 4 brakes have the same wheel cylinders. Get a master that has the same size bores front to back and no matter what diameter that bore is, it will work for you. Don't over complicate this thing.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I used a MC and booster from a 97 XJ. It only required shotening the pushrod and enlarging the hole slightly in the firewall. I also had to drill 2 more holes for the studs.

It stops quite well, and I also had room for the throttle cable to come out. (i've since changed it though) Not sure if it would clear the air cleaner on a stock 230, but I could post up some better pics and measurements later today if you want them.

Here is one pic you can sort of get an idea of:

"Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™