Thread: oil pressure sending unit

Default oil pressure sending unit

Anybody know how to test the oil pressure sending unit. We have a m715 ready run but it has no oil pressure on the gauge. The truck sounds great. But since this is going to be a fire truck (brush truck) used by alot of different people. I want all of the gauge's to work. Is there anyway to test the sending unit. I dont want to just throw money at the problem if I can avoid it.

Thanks Tiadaghton Forest Fire Fighters Association

I would suggest checking the power supply on the back of the gauge panel first. If you undo the 4 Dezus fasteners, reach under and unscrew the speedo cable from the back of the speedometer the panel will come on out a few feet.

Bolted to one of the speedo mount tabs will be the "spider wire." This is the power supply to all 4 of the small gauges. It looks like a spider is why it got its name and you can't miss it. Use a VOM and make sure your oil psi gauge is actually getting power.

That way you checked the easy to get to and cleaner end of the oil psi system first.

The sender is on the passenger side rear of the engine and is part of a T coming out of the block. Be carefull pulling it off since snapping that T will cause you a lot of grief.

I would recommend pulling the sender, cleaning it off and reading the number on the side. Because the military used several different senders over the years for different scale gauges. You want the exact part number you have so it matches your gauge.

Sources for new ones include the usual suspects: AB Linn, Memphis, Saturn, FLMV and VPW. I have also seen a few on E-bay lately.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I agree with what Barrman said, but would add that you can use the VOM to test the sender by checking it's resistance to ground. If you check the -20 manual you will find trouble shooting procedures for testing both the gage and the sender.
    Zone holster maker

Thanks for adding that Joe. The entire time I was writting the above I was trying to think through the VOM resistance test and then forgot to even mention it.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The best way to do any trouble shooting on a MV is to follow the proceedures in the -20 and -34 manuals. They were written for the lowest common denominator so they are straight forward and take you step by step in finding and fixing a problem.
    Zone holster maker