ForumsBasic TrainingOnline Maintenance ManualsThe M715 Zone Vin RegistryVPW's M715 Parts ListGalleriesLinks

Go Back   M715 Zone > General Tech > Stock Tech > Stock Tech Archives

Stock Tech Archives Look here first for all archived messages

Old May 13th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Basic Trainee

law is a Soldier

For anyone looking - Saturn Surplus has NOS coils for $48.50. These are the older style coils w/ the external ballast resistor - which brings me to my question.

My truck had the newer style coil (internal ballast resistor) so I'm not sure how to hook up this replacement as I have nothing to go by. The ballast resistor has (2) wires, I assume that one goes to the (+) terminal and the other goes to the (-) terminal on the coil but I could not find this information in the online manuals to confirm. I just wanted to know for sure before I potentially kill a new coil - you know the saying, never assume anything...

Also, one resistor wire is red and the other is black, I wonder if this resistor has to have the correct polarity? I wouldn't think so, but then why did they make the wires two different colors?
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:23 AM
New Recruit

Nuke_warlock440 is an Observer
Default I just bought a NOS Coil and now need some Help

The resistor is used to drop the voltage going to the coil..One side of the resistor hooks to the positive post on the coil the other hooks to the hot wire (+) from the switch.. personally I would hook the black wire to the coil and the red one to the hot lead from the switch..
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Basic Trainee

law is a Soldier

I will try wiing it that way this afternoon - thanks warlock440 for the information. That was close - I'm glad I asked or I would have screwed it up for sure! Thank you Zone too!

It make perfect sence now, the black wire on the resistor has a ring terminal just the right size to secure it to the coil - the red wire has no terminal at all.
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Private 1st Class

teking is a Soldier
Default Rockwell build up

Any idea as to the quantity they have on hand?
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Basic Trainee

law is a Soldier

No, sorry I didn't ask. My truck is running again so I guees it is worth the fifty bucks. It does concern me that I may be faced with the problem again and parts are definately scarce or worse - not worth buying.