Thread: Oil cap moisture

Default Oil cap moisture

Is it normal to have some moisture buildup under the oil fill cap after you've driven your vehicle. I always remove my cap after getting my truck back in the garage after a night out at a cruise or car show. Their's always a small amount of moisture under the cap, or even down the filler neck. It bothers me because this moisture hasn't anywhere to go, but back down into the motor and maybe even into the crankcase.
    I understand the principals of condensation, but I was thinking more in the way of a vent tube problem or something.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

How many miles on the engine ? also when you change the oil how does it look ? if there milky brown that first comes out its a sign of trouble. does the rad level go down any ?
    M

how long of a drive? anything under 15-20 minutes I would consider it normal, even if your water is up to temp, oil may not be, and so any water collected would start to collect at the vent and fill cap but not be able to completely go away

If the moisture is turning the engine oil a brown color then it needs to be fixed right away.

The moisture can be coming from either a leak in the cooling system or from exhaust blowing past the piston rings.

My oil if fine whenever I change it. My dipstick shows no sign of water in the oil.
    My truck is driven usually about 1/2 hour at a time, and not very frequently.
    The truck just turned 15,000 miles.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

I have the same issue, moisture in the filler, if I don't drive much. My driving is like yours, seldom and short. My oil is fine and I don't lose coolant.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era