Thread: 230 oil pump drive

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 230 oil pump drive

We have a military 230 Tornado belonging to a local Fire Co in our shop that we had pulled out and repaired some oil leaks. Had the block deck and head surface machined. Installed new main and rod bearings. Installed a new crank drive gear for the oil pump. After the engine was installed it ran great and had no leaks. Two weeks later the truck was on the way to a fire call probably not warmed up at the time when it quit and would not start. It must have backfired because the valve cover gasket had blown out on one side. I found the ignition timing was off quite a bit but the timing chain timing was still ok. After turning the distributor it ran fine. It had to be turned to a position that I know it was not in initialy. For the life of me I can not determine how the timing would have changed. I did replace the oil pump drive gear on the crank during the repair, but not the oil pump. I removed the oil pump, distributor, balancer and related parts to inspect. Found the new crank gear is wearing already badly. The wear matched the wear on the old one. The wear is not centered in the middle of the gear. When you look through the oil pump drive hole in the timing cover you can see that the crank drive gear is not centered in the hole perfectly as it is somewhat forward of center. I'm thinking of machining the spacer portion on a new gear to allow the gear to set further inward on the crank and adding a spacer on the front of the gear to make up for the machining so the balancer is in it's original position and install a new pump. Has anyone had this problem? I thought the timing cover mates with dowel pins on the block so I dont believe the cover is off causing excessive clearance between the crank gear and the oil pump drive gear. I'm at a loss, I appreciate any advice. I would like to think the timing jump was a fluke but I do need to figure how to keep the gears from wearing again as new parts are hard to find. Thanks

Hey there Bill, welcome to the madness. Sounds like like you have discovered the bane of the 715, the engine. I must admit this problem is beyond my scope but I'm sure one of our more knowledge-able members will read this and post up. Just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the zone. Be sure to continue posting with your progress and a picture or two is always encouraged.

I have heard of a few people having this problem after a rebuild...never have heard of how, or if, it was resolved...though I think, somehow, it is an installation problem...several members have rebuilt engines and not had any problems.

I have read about 2 people having problems like yours on other websites...thus the no resolution part...

Default 230

Thanks, I recieved a new oil pump today but still wondering which way to go.

Installed the new pump with out the crank drive gear and found when the three nuts are tightened down the pump shaft begins to bind. It appears there is some warpage in the timing cover.

I found this in the -34 manual:

Inspect oil pump driven gear on oil pump drive shaft. Correct positioning of the gear on the drive shaft is important. The outside end of gear hub should be 7-1/32-inch from mounting face of the oil pump. In this position, the centerline of the face of the gear teeth will coincide with bottom of ignitor shaft slot in end of the oil pump shaft. Check position of the gear with respect to slot in end of shaft. Correctly positioned, the centerline of the spaces between gear teeth should be perpendicular to centerline of the slot. If gear is in any other position, slippage of the gear on the shaft has occurred. Do not replace the gear only. If gear requires replacing, replace gear and shaft as an assembly.
    ------------------------------------------
    And this:
    ------------------------------------------
    Install Oil Pump.
    (1) The oil pump is driven by means of a helical gear mounted on front of crankshaft. The ignitor in turn, is driven by the oil pump by means of a tongue on end of ignitor shaft which engages a slot in end of the oil pump shaft. Because the tongue and the slot are both machined off center, the two shafts can be meshed in only one position. Since the position of ignitor shaft determines the timing of the engine and is controlled by the oil pump shaft, the position of the oil pump shaft must be correct with respect to the crankshaft.
    (2) Turn crankshaft until air is forced from the No. 1 spark plug port indicating No. 1 piston is on compression stroke. Continue to rotate crankshaft until pointer on the timing chain cover is aimed with “0” timing mark on the vibration damper. Install oil pump mounting gasket on oil pump.

NOTE
    Always prime oil pump with engine oil before installation to assure instant oil pick-up and circulation.

(3) Position oil pump on mounting studs on the timing chain cover. Do not install the pump far enough to engage the drive gear with the worm.
    (4) Insert a long screwdriver into ignitor shaft opening in the opposite side of chain cover and engage slot in oil pump shaft.
    (5) Turn shaft so the slot is positioned at 4 and 10 o’clock position with narrow side of shaft up.
    (6) Remove screwdriver and, look down ignitor shaft hole with a flashlight, observe position of slot in end of oil pump shaft to make certain it is properly positioned.
    (7) Insert screwdriver into shaft slot and, while turning shaft counterclockwise guide oil pump shaft gear into engagement with the crankshaft gear, press against oil pump to force it into position.
    (8) Remove screwdriver and again observe position of slot. If installation was properly made, slot will be at 3 and 9 o’clock position with narrow side of shaft still on top. If slot is improperly positioned, remove oil pump and repeat the operation.
    (9) Secure oil pump with three nuts and lock washers. Torque nuts 12 to 20 lbs - ft.

Default Where?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Thanks, I recieved a new oil pump today but still wondering which way to go.
    Where did you find a pump?
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Jeepster man had one.