Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help with my build

Not that i want to stray you away from an 205 case because its an awesome bomb proof case. But if this is gonna be a driver with limited offroad use you could run a married np208 np241 which are cheap and plentiful and light weight and plenty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by kensdodge1 View Post
    Not that i want to stray you away from an 205 case because its an awesome bomb proof case. But if this is gonna be a driver with limited offroad use you could run a married np208 np241 which are cheap and plentiful and light weight and plenty strong.
    Well, I thought about getting a divorced 205 just in case I wasn't happy with the sm465, I could go a different route without replacing tc. This may not be a good idea but its just what I had in mind. I know I would have to change yolks. Im not planning on offloading it at all. If I knew for sure what I was gonna stick with, I agree that the 208 would work. It may also be cheaper to buy a 208 twice than purchase a divorced 205....idk

http://www.dieselhub.com/drivetrain/np205.html

good history.

I'm running a SBC 292 and a sm 465 on the np200, but I found two Np 202's and the pto's for the winch, that is still on the "i got to install this " list.

At the same time I picked up a divorced NP 205 from a K-30 Blazer, fig 8 pattern... that I dont think I have any plans for in the next 12 months or so...

I will read the tag on it and count the splines tomorrow, if you cant find one locally.

I have not even looked through the pto port to check it out...
    Should have been a "good to go unit", because the guy i got it from was about to put it on his M 715... that i bought for a parts truck.

You have a backup if You dont find one in Arkansas. I think it needs the sm 465 adapter, and thats it.

Lemme know
    Last edited by Blitz; August 20th, 2014 at 10:58 PM.
    hostis est intra portas tuas

i think this is the one,

Of course everything needs double checked...

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/465spacer.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    i think this is the one,

Of course everything needs double checked...

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/465spacer.htm

I wouldn't need an adapter for a divorced 205 would I? The adapter is for marrying to the sm465 right?

Yes... I think You are correct.

I was reading about doubler's ( 208's in front of 205 's) and crossed the information when I posted.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/doubler.htm

Others here who have actually done this swap, should say something soon with their experiences and advice, hopefully.

For sure, something will be needed to cover the input bearing... an adapter, a tunnel or bearing retainer and seal at minimum.

From what I have been reading, The cross member is the main issue to address with this swap.
    ( the same problem I have right now , going to the NP 202)

From what I have read, its best to pre-position the transmission and transfer case first, before welding in the motor mounts, just to be sure everything will clear. ( On a new build )
    I dont have that luxury, and have to fab something strong enough to be worthy, where everything sits now.

I already know , driveshafts lengths will need to change.
    then the question of 1350's or 1410's... since everything will be apart.

You should be able to put in a short =shaft between the tranny and the 205 for a divorced setup, with the proper cross members and mounts.

I had some unforseen business today I had to deal with, so I have not researched the 205 that I have here yet.

I'm pretty sure its 32 spline out with the sliding yoke for the rear DS.

For the input, I need to look at it, and actually decipher the ID tag, but from memory its the 32 spline IN as well. The Tag should give the internal gear ratios as well.

I think this is the big bore, BIG engine, Truck 205 . The bigger, stronger of the 205's.

I will get back to you when I know which one this is, and take some pics.

I'm sticking with the NP 202's on my projects, so both trucks interchange, and have PTO's for winches and other uses.

One more thing to think about in your design, is the emergency brake DRUM and mounting plate, that will have to be incorporated in the transfer case, unless you change out the rear axle and do another type of E brake .

There is a Ton of information out there... on this case and these swaps...

It seems, the best thing to do is find a 4 wheeler/ mechanic / enthusiast who knows what the heck he is doing... and pay for his advice or help throughout the build.

Just to fab cross members , pto shafts and driveshafts up, thats what I'm gonna have to do.
    But then I expect it to outlast me : )

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Yes... I think You are correct.

I was reading about doubler's ( 208's in front of 205 's) and crossed the information when I posted.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/doubler.htm

Others here who have actually done this swap, should say something soon with their experiences and advice, hopefully.

For sure, something will be needed to cover the input bearing... an adapter, a tunnel or bearing retainer and seal at minimum.

From what I have been reading, The cross member is the main issue to address with this swap.
    ( the same problem I have right now , going to the NP 202)

From what I have read, its best to pre-position the transmission and transfer case first, before welding in the motor mounts, just to be sure everything will clear. ( On a new build )
    I dont have that luxury, and have to fab something strong enough to be worthy, where everything sits now.

I already know , driveshafts lengths will need to change.
    then the question of 1350's or 1410's... since everything will be apart.

You should be able to put in a short =shaft between the tranny and the 205 for a divorced setup, with the proper cross members and mounts.

I had some unforseen business today I had to deal with, so I have not researched the 205 that I have here yet.

I'm pretty sure its 32 spline out with the sliding yoke for the rear DS.

For the input, I need to look at it, and actually decipher the ID tag, but from memory its the 32 spline IN as well. The Tag should give the internal gear ratios as well.

I think this is the big bore, BIG engine, Truck 205 . The bigger, stronger of the 205's.

I will get back to you when I know which one this is, and take some pics.

I'm sticking with the NP 202's on my projects, so both trucks interchange, and have PTO's for winches and other uses.

One more thing to think about in your design, is the emergency brake DRUM and mounting plate, that will have to be incorporated in the transfer case, unless you change out the rear axle and do another type of E brake .

There is a Ton of information out there... on this case and these swaps...

It seems, the best thing to do is find a 4 wheeler/ mechanic / enthusiast who knows what the heck he is doing... and pay for his advice or help throughout the build.

Just to fab cross members , pto shafts and driveshafts up, thats what I'm gonna have to do.
    But then I expect it to outlast me : )
    Thanks for the reply Blitz! I didn't know you could use a 208 with a doubler, I thought it had to be the 203/205 combo. Let me know how you put this together because the 208's are much easier to find than the 203's it seems. Also a good idea about mounting the transmission in place first to set motor mounts!

CRNA... its a typo... 203 is the right number

My old man eyes see 8's when they are 3's on this little screen

I'm unaware of a doubler that can be used with a divorced 205. I could be wrong, but I couldn't find one last time I checked. I was researching putting a divorced np203 infront of a regular np205, but apparently the divorced 203s were only in very very very few ford trucks. This is from my memory about 5-8 years ago.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

Update:

Today I purchased a 350 sbc with mechanical bell housing, a nv4500 2wd, and a divorced np205. I decided with the 350, OD might just come in handy. My question now is.... will the mechanical bell housing work or will it be worth the money to find a hydraulic housing. I have read about how much easier the hyd housing works but since I already have a mechanical housing, I was just gonna stick with that unless I hear otherwise from you guys. Thanks