Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Not again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    So, the question is, will any other 6-cylinder coil work?
    Don, I don't think coils are specific to engine configuration: the one on my M715 came out of a box of coils, and it very well could have come off a V8 Ford. The one I put on the '59 Fiat 500 I had was very definitely NOT originally from a 2-cylinder engine.

Both work(ed) great, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Thank you, I will check that out. It did go down over the shaft fairly easy, so it must have been aligned correctly I hope. What is the purpose of the collar?
    It triggers the firing impulse, magnetically, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    Sitting on the shelf should not cause it to go bad. Remember coils on civilian vehicles were out in the weather 24-7.

Since the Chinese coils seem to have a problem, I think it comes down to just plain poor manufacturing. How many brand name batteries have destroyed electronic equipment, remotes, volt meters, flashlights that you own? And before their expiration date. I have had Duracell, Energizer, Ray-O-Vac, you name it, just leak all over. Where were they made? You guessed it, China.

I suspect these coils are just made with inferior insulation on the windings...

Is there some one of us who can answer my question above about other 6-cylinder engines?
    The coil is not specific to the M715, it is the same coil for all 24v waterproof military vehicles with a gas motor. That means the coil for a M37, M38a1, M151, gasser M35, ect........ will work. That is also why it can be hard to find a good US made one, is because everyone in the military vehicle hobby is looking for one.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    The coil is not specific to the M715, it is the same coil for all 24v waterproof military vehicles with a gas motor. That means the coil for a M37, M38a1, M151, gasser M35, ect........ will work. That is also why it can be hard to find a good US made one, is because everyone in the military vehicle hobby is looking for one.
    True statement!!!
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Ok, I might as well throw another curve ball on this already long thread I started, here goes,
    I'm still waiting on my second new coil to be sent, should arrive maybe tomorrow.
    While I'm waiting, I decided to go in the garage and try and start the truck. Turned on ignition switch, pulled out choke very slightly, hit the floor starter with my thumb, and the truck fires up on the first turn over of the motor!!! Idles absolutely smoothly. I believe this tells me the Pertronix ignition I installed is doing its job correctly. I believe also, that a full 24 volts is getting to the ignitor. Cap and rotor doing their job correctly. What the heck gives here? I'd like to think the coil was cool and this is what happened, but it was cool on the 4th of July when I went to start the truck to go to parade.
    More help please. Do I put in the new coil when it arrives, or am I just going goofy here? Help me out guys, I don't know where to go from here.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

A coil will be cool when it is sitting inside of the ignitor. However... when you turn on the truck and start it, the current flow through it begins, that in itself will heat the coil. External heat would usually not be the culprit

I hate to keep beating this thing to death, but what you're saying Don, is I should start the truck and let it run, let the coil heat up and then shut it down. Then try and start it again while everything is hot. At this point, the coil would possibly fail.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    I hate to keep beating this thing to death, but what you're saying Don, is I should start the truck and let it run, let the coil heat up and then shut it down. Then try and start it again while everything is hot. At this point, the coil would possibly fail.
    Yes, Start the engine and let it run until fully warmed up.
    Then shut it off, and let the heat soak in good for about 15 minutes, and restart.

No go Dan. Yesterday truck fired right up, today I tried to start it and all it did was crank.
    I'm sure you guys are all sick of hearing this story over and over. Maybe it's time to rest this truck for the rest of the year. I will try out the new coil when it arrives, beyond that I just don't know anymore.

I wish that I or one of our members were closer to you. We could work together and narrow down the problem. I live in Florida now. Maybe the new coil will be the solution. Fingers crossed!