Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best soft top for my 715?

Default Whats the best soft top for my 715?

Howdy guy's,
    I just got home a 715 that was left to me from a old friend that past away and I have a few questions. I'm very exited to own such an original and cool truck. Eventually I want want to put a fuel injected motor in it and put some Rockwell's underneath it.
    Tell then it's in great shape and I just want to run it and enjoy it but I want to to get rid of the noisy hard top and get the doors and windows working and sealing.
    Can anybody tell me who makes the best soft top and mounting hardware? Also where can I find new seals and parts for the doors?
    Like I said I'm really exited to have such awesome truck to play with, build, and restore. So I appreciate any advice.

I doubt you'll ever get the doors & windows to seal! Door seals are unavailable, but some have used off-the-shelf seals with variable success.

Look to the surplus market for a canvas top, or Weebee Webbing or New Life Canvas for newly-made canvas tops. Some with handy features such as zip-open rear panels for summertime ventilation.

Hardware to install the top involves the side window frames and two bent-tubing hoops. You may have the side window frames on your hard top, in fact. I think someone here was bending replacement top hoops too. Do a search for more info.

Welcome to the Zone and hope you enjoy your leaky, noisy, clanky, whining M715!
    -- Tim Taylor

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I picked up my soft top from Vintage Power Wagons about 4 years ago and its held up well in both weather and storage indoors, as far as the canvas itself is concerned. The truck does leak when it rains on it though, but that is through no fault of the top.

As far as weather-tightness any military vehicle is pretty much off the list. The side glasses don't seal to the top frames well at all, and when it rains you will get some measure of water blowing into the cab from various places around the top, doors, and windshield.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Got mine here. Very pleased with it!
    http://www.surplusjeep.com/topscush.htm
    Thanks for all the help!

I got mine from suplus city also and was very happy with it.

Duane

New / old soft top, the M715 to my opinion seems not to be designed to be rain proven. Doors always are not closed, neighter the soft top with frame and so on realy fit well nor , as I have it, an original glass fibre hard top realy fits propperly. But it is better than nothing anyway.
    Soldiers motto: better a poor ride than a good walk. You can get used to that with a M715 series truck. I'm used to it after almost 30 years.
    Wolf
    I do not get wet feet or clother whe driving in the rain. So not too bad. And in winter I have a somewhat useable heating. What else I do request from a 43 year old MV?

I also bought my top at Surplus City. It has been out in the weather for over a year and still looks as good as the day I bought it. I highly recommend it and I wish I had bought one sooner. John
    1967 M715

my surplus jeep one fit perfect!

So Surplus City has the canvas top, but they don't seem to have the frame rails for a soft top... is there a good place to get these? Or maybe the specs/design, to possibly make them??
    Thanks!

I wouldn't consider a soft top somewhere that gets cold, unless it's a summer driver only.

I've only had a hard top on my 715, but I used to drive a VW dune buggy with a cloth roof. My hardtop is much quieter and better sealed. And lockable.