Thread: Up and running

Default Up and running

Finally had the time to get back to my truck. Installed new coil, cleaned all contact points in distributor cap and rotor, checked voltage at coil, (23.76v) and checked for fuel spray down throat of carb (spray fine). Both batteries are at 12.46 volts. Put it back together and truck fired up instantly. Idled for 20 minutes and I shut her down. Tried again in 10 minutes and she fired right up again. Not sure what all this means, but at this point I need to take it out and drive it and hope for the best. In the garage at idle, it runs perfectly. Not a single blip in the rpm's. Hitting the gas pedal seems responsive, maybe an ever so slight hesitation in the sound of the motor, and I mean slight. I'm thinking at 20 minutes idle time, the fuel pump should be refueling the bowl in the carb. My opinion is the fuel pump is doing its job. We'll see what happens in a few hours or tomorrow when I go to start it again.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by militarypotts View Post
    Finally had the time to get back to my truck. Installed new coil, cleaned all contact points in distributor cap and rotor, checked voltage at coil, (23.76v) and checked for fuel spray down throat of carb (spray fine). Both batteries are at 12.46 volts. Put it back together and truck fired up instantly. Idled for 20 minutes and I shut her down. Tried again in 10 minutes and she fired right up again. Not sure what all this means, but at this point I need to take it out and drive it and hope for the best. In the garage at idle, it runs perfectly. Not a single blip in the rpm's. Hitting the gas pedal seems responsive, maybe an ever so slight hesitation in the sound of the motor, and I mean slight. I'm thinking at 20 minutes idle time, the fuel pump should be refueling the bowl in the carb. My opinion is the fuel pump is doing its job. We'll see what happens in a few hours or tomorrow when I go to start it again.
    Fingers crossed all te way from the Southern Hemisphere!

Hesitation is often caused by the carburetor (accelerator pump) but slight is not really a problem. These engines are not high performance precision machines. So, that is entirely normal.

Please keep us informed.

Thanks Don from down under. Just went out to try to start her again. Just leaned in and flipped the switch, two pumps on the pedal and hit the starter. Bam! she instantly fired up. Hope this is a good sign. Not sure what the road test will be like, but we'll see maybe tomorrow. Jabbing the accelerator pedal give just a slight hesitation or roughness, but like you said, these motors are far from high performance. I'll keep you informed as to the road test results. G-day!
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Glad to hear some good news!

Good to hear you got it running again. Hopefully it was just that old coil giving you problems.
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

I sure hope so Dave. Didn't take the truck out today because it was cool and rainy. I hope this was all about another bad coil. With that being said, what the heck do we do about having to use these coils? I have a hard time believing everyone who has to replace a coil could possibly have the same problem I had. Anyway, I hope I have good news for you guys when I take the truck out. Have a great weekend everyone.