Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Pictures Here

Default Interesting Pictures Here

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/show...t=14655&page=2

Thought you all might enjoy these pictures. I hope this is where the link belongs.

We have the whole file on the Army testing the una track system with pics here:

http://www.m715zone.com/jonmisc/UNA.pdf
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default Related, sort of.

I never saw it, but my Great-Uncle in West Monroe, La. had a patent on a hydrolic lift, tractor tread that fit under an old style Bronco. He fished a lot in the bottoms and got tired of wading through mud to hook-up his winch. Daddy saw him test it. He buried it up in the mud, worked some levers, the truck lifted up and pulled out. He was'nt lazy, just old.

I made friends with a guy that came over from Russia and is now an electrician. He told me that he was from an area close to Siberia. In the summer it is a swamp/bog and that nothing can travel in it. When he was a boy he saw this military "vehicle" that he discribed as a pontoon boat looking thing that the top of the boat kind of looked like a tank. The cool part, was that the "pontoons" were actually round and had a thread like a giant screw welded to them. the pontoons would rotate in opposite directions to each other and since they were hollow and light weight, it would allow the vehicle to propell forward or backward over ANY terrain since it floated it worked on water and would go right through the bogs and over any ground. I was stunned by the idea and have always thought of making one.

I think that the track idea is lame for one reason:
    If you look at the height of the front wheel of the track, you will in effect be running a "tire" that is dinky compaired to a normal wheeled vehicle. What if there is a log accross your path that is 18 inches in diameter and the effective tire size is 10 inches? the tracks will try to dig down under the log not go over it. It would be much better to have a full track down the whole side of the vehicle like a tank would. those have the front of the track pointed up at an angle allowing the tank to ride over obstacles.

I was thinking about making some cool tracks for a small jeep. I would use some cheap rims that I modified to add gear lugs to. I would lock the steering and make it rear wheel drive only. I could use the rear breaks to steer. and use snowmobile track connected together for the track part.

I don't know, maybe im nuts.

You can find videos of that vehicle in youtube.

This is its granddaddy:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=568_1233111054

But lets just for argument say you added hydralics to it where you could pic up the front left and right tracks. It would be like transformers. LOL
    No longer on the hunt.

Mattracks, the modern equivalent of the UNA tracks, have been tested on pickups in Yellowstone in 40-50 inches of snow in the winter...no sweat...that would be cool!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Agin, I never saw it but I think Uncle Leslie was dealing with Gumbo mud. Hard middle, with deep greasy ruts, mostly high center problems. He had patents on several things, I think he did make and sell some pea shellers. He could catch some fish.

What ever happened to UNA TRACKS ???? I got a half set that I'm going to pattern and complete where I work !!!
    Thanks for any and all help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!