Thread: 38.5x11.00x16 rim question

Default 38.5x11.00x16 rim question

When I finish with my axles swap I plan to run the 38.5' x 11.00 x16 military tires until I can save up enough coins to purchase the 40's (or maybe a touch taller!). Anyway, I don't have any 16" rims for the 14 bolt and Dana 60 that are going under the truck and I thought I would keep my eyes open for a good deal this winter. What rims width should I look for to use with the 11.00's? I would assume 8" rims would be ideal and 10" are too wide but really know. How about 9"? Anyone have any words of wisdom on rims widths?

I believe mine are 10" wide and they work well.

Only one reply!?! Discussed this with few others and I am getting a thumbs down on 10" rims. What rim width are you non stock axle guys running with military tires?

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Grantshire View Post
    Only one reply!?! Discussed this with few others and I am getting a thumbs down on 10" rims. What rim width are you non stock axle guys running with military tires?

Look what the UPS guy dropped off today

Jester Guest

and another

M715 Rims

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Richard, I didn't see your thread earlier or would have replied.....

I had Marsh build a set of wheels and they are 8 inches wide. I am running the same 38.5 Swamper TSL's you saw on it back in the summer. The flat on the way to your place inspired me to ditch the tubes!

They work just fine and the backspacing in 4.5 inches on these wheels so it gives it a wider stance. They also were very reasonable for custom built wheels at $96 each. Wheels to fit a standard bolt pattern may be even cheaper, and the 8 lug Chevy is so common. I'd think 10" would be a bit much for those tires and put more of the sidewall out there in the open.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Thanks Randy, I had read your post about getting Marsh wheels. If I was staying with stock axles that is what I would do. Logic tells me 8" (could even use 7") is the way to go. I might even pick up a set of 16" 6 lug rims from a Toyota/Izuzu at the junk yard for the Commando. That way I can swap the 38.5's onto it when I put the 40's on the M715. I am running 35's right now but have the clearance for more. Sure would make crawling over rocks easier.

If I ever get the wiring gremlins tamed I can start on the M715. The Commando is about 95% finished, wish the house repairs were also.

Richard

I agree that 10" is too much for a 11" wide tire.

The 11.00x16 Michelins were actually made for a 6" wide rim. That is what mine are on. 8" would work fine also.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DNL View Post
    The 11.00x16 Michelins were actually made for a 6" wide rim. That is what mine are on. 8" would work fine also.

Dave
    Thanks, didn't know that. I will look for 7"-8" rims for the 6 lug and 8" for the 8 lug (so the 12.50's will fit when I upgrade to 40" or 42" tires).