Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 715 Wheel color

Default 715 Wheel color

Guys,

I'm a slight restomod (axle swap, remained spring under though).

I want to paint my wheels before I mount tires... What is everyone doing.... painting wheels black or the color of the truck (usually green).

Just curious as I can both powdercoat my wheels black like I did the frame or I can paint them USMC Forest Green like I did the truck.

Opinions/Thoughts?
    67' M715/5.9 Cummins/ZF5/NP205

I did mine the same green as the rest of the truck. All military vehicles had that pattern until the camouflage painting took over in the '80's.

To me, green matching rims on the solid color MV's and black rims on the 3 and 4 color camo trucks just right.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

My camo truck came with mismatched wheels. When I replaced them (I bought an extra set and put new Swampers on then just switched 'em out), I replicated the color scheme BUT painted the split rings flat black to give a slight balloon-tire visual effect from a distance.
    "other peoples junk, is something or other" - Militarypotts 02/07/2011

Summer, 1970, Neu Ulm Germany. But the raised letters were painted by me (silver paint) as well as the wheel stud ends and split ring edge. Olive drab from the factory.

Green all the way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shade of paint looks really Marine Corps-ish. Must be a lot of blue in it (photo).

We were in Germany at the same time. But I was 7.
    Jonnie

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    The shade of paint looks really Marine Corps-ish. Must be a lot of blue in it (photo).

We were in Germany at the same time. But I was 7.
    It's a slide that I took in 1970. I scanned it with an HP scanner and didn't take time to do color correction. I actually painted that truck in Germany with the correct color paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I did mine the same green as the rest of the truck. All military vehicles had that pattern until the camouflage painting took over in the '80's.

To me, green matching rims on the solid color MV's and black rims on the 3 and 4 color camo trucks just right.
    In 4 color camo the rim matches the color section so it is possible to get something like two green rims and two brown rims, or what ever the first two primary colors are in the patterns since there is like 12 different color combos for the 4 color system. The black and sand being the lesser colors were not used on the rims.

In 3 color NATO camo all the rims are black which makes more sense because in the four color system you really couldn't rotate your tires.
    Zone holster maker

Thanks for throwing that in Joe. I left it out since the M715 as far as I am aware never got the 4 color treatment. I have a yellow rim on my whistler because of that silly paint job. Notice I wrote '80's so woodland camo would be the only option?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The M715 got the 4-color MERDC camo but never the 3-color Nato camo. The truck I had at your place was the 4-color MERDC pattern.