Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: My second M715 build. What was I thinking?

Yesterday I ended up getting the engine and transmission bolted into the frame on some custom mounts I built. I had a little trial and error because I didn't measure correctly the first time so the cab was swung into place a couple times before I had it where I was happy.

I am going to mount the newer serpentine belt system from the 1998 6.5 on the 6.2 that I have bolted in place now. I can't find the fan clutch that is supposed to be on that 6.5 engine and I'm starting to wonder if I ever even had it. I'm not sure it will fit anyway but I'd like to know so I have options for fans. The engine is sitting pretty low in the frame and it looks like the fan may interfere with the radiator output.

This morning I pulled the cab back off and painted the front of the box and the rear of the cab.

I'm starting to wish I had bought desert tan instead of Marine Corps green. Maybe the next one will be tan.

I haven't had much time to work on this for a while. I did manage to sneak out for a few minutes here and there and start swapping the serpentine belt system from the '98.

I figured out how I would rig up a throttle cable by modifying the factory 6.2 throttle bracket to fit around the 98's coolant crossover. I don't have a cable to verify everything but by eyeball it should work.

I got most of the turbo parts off the 6.5 and started fitting them onto the 6.2. One thing I noticed right away is I don't have an oil port at the front of the 6.2 where I do have an oil port on the 6.5. I will need to re-plumb the oil feed line from somewhere else on the 6.2. I may just install a "tee" off the oil pressure port for the turbo oil feed.

I only broke one bolt off taking the exhaust manifolds off the 6.5.

I'm a little concerned about clearance around the front drive shaft from the exhaust pipe. I don't have any pictures yet but will get some and post them up when I can.

Nice progress Paul. Hey I have the throttle cable on mine from the 6.2 if you need one. You can have it for the shipping if you want
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Thanks George. PM sent.

Well another setback.

I got the turbo cross over exhaust pipe installed and noticed afterwards that I can't install a front drive shaft now.

I did get the brackets and accessories installed on the front of the engine though.

So now I need to figure out how bad I really want the turbo. Is it worth the hassle to get it to fit?

I was happy with my last truck with a n/a 6.2 and no overdrive. I don't need the truck to be a power house. I really would like it to be maintenance free.

Hi Paul, I got your PM
    Sounds good, I'll be out of town until Friday, so I'll take it off Sat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

There is a 1/4" NPT oil feed just above the oil cooler line fittings on the drivers side rear of the block above the oil filter. That is where the Banks instructions say to get oil on the 6.2 for their turbo set up.

Please show how you did the throttle bracket. I have a '93 serpentine set up and need to find a coolant crossover for the Cowdog truck. I find lots of dual thermostat cross overs, but not the single 'stat ones that I know will work with a cable.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Please show how you did the throttle bracket. I have a '93 serpentine set up and need to find a coolant crossover for the Cowdog truck. I find lots of dual thermostat cross overs, but not the single 'stat ones that I know will work with a cable.
    Thanks for the tip on the oil tap location.

I will get some pictures of the bracket I modified but I'm not sure yet if it's going to work. There is not much room to begin with and when I installed the A/C compressor I had to infringe even more on the available space for the cable to travel through. I did use a piece of wire looped around the throttle lever to test it and it does seem like it will work without rubbing on anything. The cable isn't quite in line with the linkage and I'm hoping that isn't a problem.

Here is a stock 6.2 throttle cable bracket marked where I cut it apart. I should mention that I don't have the ability to mount the high idle solenoid as it sits.

Here is the bracket after I welded it and installed it. I welded the piece I cut back together on an angle. This shot is looking from the back of the bracket.

Here it is from the front. The angles are not good for showing the path I expect the cable to travel but I think it is going to work without rubbing on anything.

And last for this evening I got a shot of the exhaust crossover before I removed it. I'm going to try cutting the pipe and re-routing it to see if I can make it work.

Last edited by jeeper; August 18th, 2016 at 09:55 PM.

Wow, that is really tight for the cable in there. Thanks for the pictures. I will try to find a front outlet single thermostat cross over I think.

That oil supply plug I mentioned has a square punched into it. It isn't a hex or Torx. Just a warning for when you go to remove it.

Do you have room to bring the exhaust cross over around the front of the oil pan sump? Use a 6.2 drivers side manifold which is pretty much a straight down dump. Go forward or just directly under the engine. I don't have my M715 here in my class to look at, but looking at the 6BT truck belonging to Sermis. As long as you stay under the steering box, there seems to be room to go around the front of the engine too.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw