Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering

Default Power steering conversion question

Thanks Flingarrows, I don't know how to get pictures on here. my P.S. situation. Also the body of my Saginaw style 4 bolt mounting steering gear box is 11-1/2" long. I'm starting to believe that there are shorter P.S. gear boxes. Mine is from a 1975 wagoneer. I get one bolt in and rotate the gear box up and the body of the P.S. hits the very front crossmember.

i used a Lares 1106 box on mine. Here is some info:
    Finally got her on the road!
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Here are some photos of the 1106. There is an arrow for scrolling through. This is a 3 bolt gear:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3024012
    Thanks, George

Thanks Flingarrows, not sure how to send pictures on here. But the P.S. gear box is 11-1/2" body length. I can get one bolt in It, then when I swing it up to line up the other mounting holes the gear hits the very front crossmember. I'm starting to believe that there are different lengths. Mine was ordered for a 1975 Cherokee. Any ideas. Thanks

Thanks Flingarrows for the info.

I did a quick look on rock auto at gears for a 75 cherokee with a 360 cid v8. It had Lares 970, 973, 974, and 975. It didnt show an 1106 though.

Im not 100% sure where I pulled that 1106 number from when I bought mine, but probably was from the zone. Try a search for Lares, you should pull a few hits.

It sounds like you may have the wrong gear
    Thanks, George

I just checked rock for a 78 Cherokee, and it is a Lares 1106. So there must have been a change between 75 and 78
    Thanks, George

I had a steering box that did the same thing. I can't find the finished product pictures but I ended up cutting a small section of the front cross member piece out and flipping it inwards and re-welding it in place. My post about it was here: another power steering question

Hey, thanks you all for your guidance. I'll post my results of my power steering conversion.. I Would really like to post pictures of my complete tear down build. I have just started the reassembly. A few years ago I saw my first M715 and bought it. Last year I found another 67 M715 and bought it, in the hopes that I'd restore it. But I met a great father and son from Florida who wanted to buy it, so that they could restore it as a father and son project. I sold it knowing that another M715 would be saved. Again thanks for the advise. Taisho

I would be very happy to receive pics of a whole power steering swap so a page could be made for others to use as reference...would be a great addition to the site!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!